Post Doctoral Fellow-Cancer and Social Epigenomics
CDU Strives for EXCELLENCE! Join a team of diverse professionals and start your career today with Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. We are seeking extraordinary and dedicated individuals to achieve the mission that drives us all: to cultivate diverse health professional leaders are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations…. As a member of CDU faculty, or staff you’ll achieve EXCELLENCE in a welcoming community of passionate medical school professionals.
At CDU we are seeking a talented Post Doctoral Fellow-Cancer and Social Epigenomics.
Under the supervision of the Project Leader and Division Chief, the PostDoctoral Fellow well be responsible for conducting translational cancer research that focuses on social epigenomics associated with health disparities. We are seeking a highly motivated and ambitious MD/Ph.D. candidate to work on projects related to understanding how social determinants of health may impact changes in epigenetics and genetic targets that could influence the risk of developing breast cancer and its progression. This is an ideal position for applicants who wish to develop the skills for advancing their career toward an independent researcher. The ideal applicant will possess curiosity and passion for science and talent for independent research, which should be supported by a strong publication record. Knowledge of quantitated measurement of social-economic and environment factors, statistical genomics and/or epigenetics, and integrating analysis are required; and experience with bioinformatics is preferred. This opportunity particularly invites applicants interested in a long-term career in cancer health disparities research focused on underrepresented and/or underserved communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Duties assigned to this position will require an in-depth knowledge of a specialized field, process, or discipline and may involve organizing and implementing complex research plans, the development of methods of research, testing and data collection, analysis and evaluation, and writing reports (weekly reports and progress reports) containing descriptive, analytical and evaluative content.
- The duties will require the exercise of independent discretion and judgment in carrying out research activities within the predetermined research scope and methodology.
- Participates in research studies to include molecular biology, immunohistochemistry, assay, extractions, real-time , western blots, biochemical determinations, plasmid preparation and analysis, cell transfections; anesthesia, injections, aseptic work, animal handling, and tissue excision.
- Maintains inventory and supplies needed for the research.
- Coordinates from various collaborating departments and collaborates with colleagues.
- Responsible for student interns of the research.
- Responsible for statistical analyses of data and writing up results.
- Demonstrates leadership in presentation materials and manuscript preparation.
- Assists divisional staff members and other collaborators in the research.
- Analyzes and records research data, submit weekly reports to the PI.
- Maintains related correspondence and regulatory paperwork.
- Presents research papers at meetings.
- Assist the Project Leader in mentoring student interns.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Regionally accredited doctoral degree (Ph.D., MD.) required in the biomedical science-related area.
- Experience in social epigenetic study such as familiar with statistical methods for transformation of social economic and social environment information in indexes of relative inequality and evaluating influences of those factors in increasing risk of breast cancer and cancer progression.
- Ability to perform statistical analyses of high-throughput epigenomic and genotyping data to facilitate the interpretation of associations between molecular data with environment, stress, and disease.
- Statistical analysis for qualitative and quantitative data
- Understand social epigenetic studies
- Computer skills
- Written and oral communication skills
- Able to troubleshoot, and resolve technical difficulties
- Committed to a career in biomedical science focused on cancer health disparities.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3647
At Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, our employees' well-being is important to us. CDU continues to offer health and wellness benefits to help employees stay healthy and provide financial protection against high medical costs. The program incorporates a variety of benefit plans from which employees can choose. The following summary provides a brief overview and high level summary of the benefits that may be available as a member of the faculty or staff working at least 20 hours per week in a regular or conditional position at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. For more information, visit https://www.cdrewu.edu/academics/facultystaff/Offices/Benefits
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer