Post-Doctoral Data Scientist
The Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD is seeking a post-doctoral fellow to conduct research in cancer genomics. As part of the NCI-COMPASS program the Laboratory of Pathology is developing a robust multiomics program which includes clinical-grade whole genome sequencing, whole transcriptome sequencing, and other genomic characterization modalities. We are generating a large amount of in-house NGS data (panel sequencing, RNAseq, whole genome sequencing) and are using state-of-the art approaches (synthetic lethality, genetic interactions) to translate these data into integrated genomic signatures and data-driven therapeutic options. The purpose of this effort is to detect accepted targets of therapy; targets relevant to clinical trial eligibility; undiscovered hereditary cancer predisposition biomarkers for individual patients; and biomarkers that can refine diagnoses. The data scientist will be central in formulating questions and analyzing the data produced by these platforms. An example of one approach would be incorporation of deep learning approaches to integrate pathology images with multiomic data and patient outcome to target therapies and immunotherapy. The individual accepted to this position will receive mentoring from both clinical and research-oriented pathologists including molecular pathologists and will have the opportunity to interact with leaders of genomic oncology at the NCI. Close collaboration with computational biologists in the Cancer Data Science Lab is expected to further enrich this experience.
Specific duties will include:
- Become up-to-date and maintain familiarity with current genomic oncology.
- Close collaboration with molecular pathologists and computational biologists to identify new approaches of data integration of multiplatform data.
- Ability to scrutinize in-house data and publicly available databases such as TCGA using standard computational packages (e.g. R, Python, etc) in order to answer complex questions.
- Produce scientifically relevant outputs based on specific analyses including graphical representations of data.
- Presenting relevant information in oral and written formats.
- Troubleshooting problems involving issues related to project design.
- Interacting with laboratory information system managers.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Ph.D. or equivalent degree with an emphasis in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Mathematics, Biomathematics, Computer Science, Genetics, Genomics, Genetic Epidemiology or related areas within the past 5 years.
- Documented experience performing advanced statistical analyses on large, complex datasets in a programming language such as R and/or Python.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics tools used for NGS data analysis and ability to independently perform advanced analyses of sequencing data.
- Prior demonstrable experience with demonstrable experience with data collection, organizing, analyzing and summarizing for detailed reports and research papers and data presentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with scientific personnel and administrative staff.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines in multiple complex projects.
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Extensive experience with next-generation sequencing data.
- Ability to use various alignment, copy number, translocation detecting software etc.
- Extensive prior experience with data extraction from laboratory information systems.
- Experience with machine learning.
Key Words for Resume Search:
Data analysis, database, R, python, TCGA, cBioportal, machine learning, data extraction, scientific projects, clinical laboratory, RNA sequencing, DNA sequencing, whole genome, whole transcriptome
Please send your CV to email@example.com.
Apply for Post-Doctoral Data Scientist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly