Portfolio Manager, TDM & Data Products
Division and Unit Overview
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is the world’s largest scientific membership association and one of the top ten peer-reviewed science publishers in the world. The Publications Division of the ACS has all of the characteristics of a commercial STM publishing company: its primary competitors for authors, market-share, and talent are Elsevier, Wiley, and Springer/Nature. It is one of two ACS divisions charged with serving a dual function: generating substantial revenue – currently in the range of $200M - to support the Society’s programmatic activities and fulfilling a core mission of the Society by advancing knowledge in the field of chemistry and the chemical enterprise.
ACS Publications, by virtue of its products and wide-ranging peer review, touches hundreds of thousands of active researchers. Our focus has been on their research outputs, not the skills and techniques required for researchers to excel professionally. The Division’s primary products and revenue center have traditionally been peer-reviewed journals that are widely disseminated through online subscriptions, receiving the most downloads and citations in chemistry. ACS Publications has a significant footprint in the global academy: 3,500 institutions from high schools to teaching hospitals subscribe and use our content services or seek to enhance their professional standing though our publications and events. To further enhance the impact of the Division, the New Product Innovation team is tasked with developing and launching new products, services, tools, or solutions consistent with the Societal mission to provide indispensable information.
The goal of the Portfolio Manager, TDM (Text and Data Mining) & Data Products is to develop and grow a scalable database business, tailored to meet the needs of scientists across academia, industry, and government. The incumbent is responsible for assessing and defining database opportunities that tie to ACS Publications priorities, including developing a database roadmap and delivering a portfolio of database product lines. As a start-up initiative within a traditional organization, the incumbent should be comfortable solving a wide range of dynamic issues. The Portfolio Manager, TDM & Data Products will work closely with external vendors, subject matter experts (SMEs), colleagues from CAS, others in the Innovation team, and the Division’s editorial, sales, marketing, and IT teams. This position reports to the Director, Professional Development & Education Products.
- Assess database opportunities that leverage ACS Publications competencies and are relevant to customers in the academic, corporate, and government sectors.
- Develop a strategic database roadmap based on existing products, defined market need, and competitive landscape. Define market size, delivery mechanism, sales model, metrics for success, and projected revenues for each product line.
- Develop the functionality and data standards across the database portfolio, ensuring the user experience is consistent with other ACS database assets.
- Collaborate on the prototyping, feature development, infrastructure, and user experience with internal teams or external vendors.
- Provide training to customers and internal staff on efficient and effective use of each database. Support global sales team and customer service teams.
- Maintain awareness of competitor database products and functionality, including attending relevant training and industry conferences.
- BA/BS required, MS preferred, PhD or equivalent experience in computer science, information science, library science, or a scientific field a plus.
- 15+ years of experience managing database products or in text and data mining development. Experience managing external vendors preferred.
- Proven experience with product and market development, including P&L accountability. Experience managing a $10M+ product line a plus.
- Experience managing product development timeline, budget, forecasting, and contracts/licenses.
- Experience in technical project management, data principles and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of text and data mining, data analysis, data tuning, data accuracy and data quality. Familiarity with leading database systems.
- Experience with enterprise application integration.
- Adept at dealing with ambiguity and a frequently changing work environment.
- Ability to manage multiple products and tasks while meeting stated deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in leading through influence.
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills. Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Effective problem solver and multitasker with strong analytical skills.
- Collaborative working style, effective at working with large teams to produce a high-quality product.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 15% of the time.
This position is based in our Washington, DC headquarters.