Chief Operating Officer
Under the leadership of President Peter Gruss, OIST is now in the midst of an exciting new stage of growth to double the size of the University by 2023. The Chief Operating Officer will play a key role in this major expansion and will have a unique opportunity to contribute to the growth of this dynamic new university. The Chief Operating Officer (COO) supports the work of the President by overseeing and coordinating most non-academic operations of the university, including finance and budget, human resources, facilities, government relations, campus health and safety. This task will be accomplished by working in effective partnership with the other executives. The COO reports directly to the President.
The goal of OIST to become a world-class university includes achieving excellence in management. The COO is expected to contribute to making OIST a model of efficient and effective management that provides high performance administrative services and supports the core values of OIST.
OIST seeks a committed and enthusiastic individual who will implement the long-term vision for growth of the University. The COO will be thoughtful and innovative in the development and implementation of a strategic business plan. The COO will command the respect of stakeholders including the Faculty, the Board of Governors, the Board of Councilors internally, and government agencies and public and private organizations externally.
- Support and advise the President for the growth and operation of the University
- Coordinate and oversee non-academic functions of the university, including finance, human resources, facilities, administration, compliance, and campus health and safety
- Implement effective management that provides efficient and high-performance administrative services
- Manage risk and health and safety
- Manage cross-division/office projects or issues that are not included in responsibilities of other executives
- Coordinate effective relations with the Japanese Government and other external organizations
- Extensive experience in senior leadership positions at an academic or research organization, or public or private organizations of relevant complexity
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Outstanding business planning and analytical skills, including demonstrated ability to identify and utilize best practices and performance benchmarks
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with people at all levels
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills in English
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse university
- International working experience
- Ability to communicate in Japanese