Dr. David Barefield, an Assistant Professor in the Department of Cell & Molecular Physiology at Loyola University Chicago is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to work on a recently funded project focusing on myofilament contractile disfunction in atrial myopathies and cardiac arrhythmias. This position will provide the opportunity for the fellow to develop and pursue independent projects during their training. The Barefield lab uses mouse models and human induced pluripotent stem cell derived cardiomyocyte models of genetic cardiovascular disease to study contractile biophysics, cellular and whole-heart electrophysiology, in vivo physiology, and molecular and biochemical approaches to study the effect of gene mutations on protein function.
What we offer:
• The Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology is an open, collaborative, and stimulating research environment with broad expertise including cardiac and neuro electrophysiology, cardiac metabolism, cellular biophysics, and proteomics.
• Training in a variety of super-resolution quantitative microscopy and image analysis techniques, use of mouse modes and human induced pluripotent stem cell derived cardiomyocyte disease models, methods to assess cardiac electrophysiology and contractile biophysics
• Commitment to mentoring and career development opportunities tailored to individual career goals
• Flexible start date
• Regular opportunities to interact with collaborators at several Chicago research universities, and attendance at local and national scientific society meetings.
• Chicago’s world-class entertainment offerings
What we are looking for:
• Candidates from a biomedical research background
• Enthusiasm and commitment to pursue novel research areas
• Eagerness to learn and develop new techniques and approaches
• Team player with an interest in helping further the development of other lab members
• Ability to think independently and the initiative to follow new ideas
• Motivation to pursue career development opportunities (e.g. applying for fellowships and awards, networking, etc.)
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
Minimum Requirement: PhD in a relevant field
Please provide a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references
Loyola University is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Apply for Postdoc
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly