Postdoctoral Associate (Tumor Initiation and Maintenance) Adams Lab
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. Our scientists are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Dr. Peter D. Adams’ lab investigates the impact of chromatin and epigenetics on cellular senescence, aging, and cancer. In particular, the lab hypothesizes that age-associated changes in chromatin and epigenetic programming contribute to the dramatic age-associated increase in the incidence of cancer. While age is the biggest single risk factor for most cancers, the reason for this is currently poorly understood. For more information about the lab, please go to: http://padamslab.org/.
The lab strives to be highly collaborative with other labs in San Diego, the US, and elsewhere, for example collaborating with computational biologists, immunologists, experts in specific mouse models of cancer and aging, and surgeons, pathologists, and clinical oncologists.
The Adams laboratory has a Postdoctoral Associate position available. Applications are invited from ambitious, independent, and motivated candidates to join the lab of Professor Adams investigating the epigenetics of aging and cancer. The specific project in the broad epigenetics-cancer-aging area can be discussed, but possible projects include: 1) investigating age-dependent epigenetic changes that lead to increased incidence of cancer with age; 2) mechanism of formation of pro-inflammatory “cytoplasmic chromatin fragments (CCF)” (activators of cGAS/STING pathway) in senescent cells; 3) mechanisms and consequence of DNA methylation clocks; 4) defining mechanisms of chromatin homeostasis (“chromostasis”) that facilitate epigenetic and phenotypic stability and healthy aging; and 5) epigenetic dysregulation in Acute Myeloid Leukemia that can be exploited for the development of novel therapies.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply online to the SBP career site by submitting one PDF document with a cover letter, CV, references and list of any publications or accomplishments.
- Pro-actively and semi-independently lead a project focused on the epigenetics of aging and/or cancer
- Independently design and perform experiments (i.e. cell and molecular biology) and procedures with a high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques
- Work with mouse models and cancer and aging
- Demonstrate knowledge in relevant specialized disciplines, such as mouse models for cancer and aging
- Generate hypotheses, design experiments, interpret data, trouble shoot and optimize experiments
- Be able to analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions
- Be able to present results at internal and external meetings
- Accurately document experiments
- Contribute to the writing of reports and manuscripts with increasing responsibility over time
- Work collaboratively across lab functions and train other junior lab staff as needed
- Ph.D. degree in Science is required
- Previous Postdoc training is not required
- Experience and/or expertise in an aspect of cell or molecular biology and/or animal models is preferred
- Computational expertise is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Knowledge of molecular biology of chromatin and/or epigenetics is preferred
- Knowledge of statistical methods applied to biology
- Familiarity with public bioinformatics databases and resources
- Have strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent data presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.