Faculty Position in Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University
Faculty Positions in Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University
Ⅰ. About Us
Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University (SYSMH, SYSU) is named after the founding father of modern China, Sun Yat-sen, who once studied medical science here. Also known as the Second Affiliated Hospital of SYSU, the 185-year institution has developed into a top ranking general hospital in China, integrating medical treatment, disease prevention, healthcare, teaching, with high quality medical science and translational research. Rapid expansion has led to several campuses in the city and the Pearl River Delta region.
Integral to SYSU’s clinical medicine programme, which is ranked among the global top 1% in Essential Science Indicators (ESI) subject area ranking, the hospital plays a key role in the programme’s selection for the national “double first-class” initiative. With 7 national key disciplines and 32 key clinical specialties, the hospital now focuses on six academic clusters, including malignant tumours, cardiovascular systems, gynaecology and paediatrics, immunology and metabolism, geriatrics and rehabilitation, head and neck diseases.
Motivated by state-of-the-art clinical medicine and innovative science, SYSMH has built a core research center for generalized research and a specialized research center for targeted research areas and interests. Besides these two centers, SYSMH also has a large number of key laboratories, clinical medical research centers, engineering technology research centers, etc.. In terms of specialized research center, the hospital is now cooperating with Guangzhou Regenerative Medicine and Healthy Guangdong Laboratory in building the Center for Tumor immunity, Center for Cardiovascular disease and Center for Brain science as part of the Clinical Innovation Department of GDL.
Today, SYSMH is a collection of top-level research facilities, including the Medical Research Centers in headquarter hospital and Guangzhou International Biological Island, the Biobank, the Phase I Clinical Research Center, the Nanhai Center of Innovation for Clinical Immunity, ect.. All of which is fully equipped with dozens of millions RMB value of cutting-edge research instruments including Multi-photon Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy, Animal Ultrasound Imaging System, Ultra High Resolution Three in One Mass Spectrometer, Ultra High Resolution Microscopic Imaging System, PerkinElmer Vectra Polaris™, High Content Analysis System, ect. in over 40,000 m2 of laboratory space. SYSMH provides new PIs a quick-start environment to help their career transition and development. In addition, the researchers can be Contractual Employed by the GDL and share more than 13,000 m2 of specialized laboratories and first-class equipments as well as animal center of the GDL.
SYSMH builds upon a large pool of talents and a strong foundation in research. In 2019, Professor Song Erwei, the President of SYSMH, was elected as the academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences. Under the leadership of the hospital’s outstanding team, SYSMH adheres to the notion of “talent is the prime asset”, and provides a direct pathway to attract talented researchers by offering a “pyramidal” system for talent cultivation. It is worth mentioning that the hospital carries out the Sun Yat-sen Postdoctoral Program with academicians and national talents as supervisors. Via vigorous recruitment and devoted nurturing, as of now, SYSMH has 36 prize winners of national talent projects. Also, there are 148 award recipients of talent awards at provincial and municipal level.
With an annual funding of over 160 million RMB allocated exclusively for scientific research, SYSMH has an impressive capability in undertaking research projects at various levels. The number of grants approved by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) has been ranked among the top 20 hospitals in China for four consecutive years. Current approved landmark projects include ‘Project 973’, ‘Project 863’, National Key Development Project, National Natural Innovation Research Groups, National Natural Major Project, etc.. Research achievements have been published in internationally acclaimed academic journals such as Cell, Nature Immunology, Hepatology, etc.. The hospital ranked among the top 10 medical institutions in China in the Nature Index for three consecutive years from 2017 to 2019, among which the hospital achieved outstanding performance in 2018, ranking fourth in China and entering the top 100 in the world. The scientific findings of the hospital were listed among the “Top Ten Global Scientific Advancement Award 2013” and were named the “Top Ten Scientific Advancements in China” in both 2008 and 2018.
Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital is seeking talented researchers from around the world in enhancing research capacities of the hospital, while advancing medical research and improving health for all.
Ⅱ. Research areas
Areas of recruitment include medicine, life sciences and related traditional or interdisciplinary subjects.
Key areas: 1. Tumor biology (focusing on tumor microenvironment); 2. Immunometabolism and inflammation (Immunity of metabolic diseases, infection and vasculitis-related diseases); 3. Neuroscience and neuromorphology; 4. Big data in medicine and bioinformatics; 5. Related fields in integrative medical engineering (medical equipment R&D, biomedical materials, 3D printing).
1. “Hundred Talent Project” of SYSU
(1) Leading Talents: For those who have achieved landmark innovations and significant impact in their respective fields, and who are engaged in research works of major innovation, important developmental prospects and key general-purpose technology, and has achieved landmark innovations and significant impact in their respective fields.
(2) Distinguished Scholars: For those who have published or obtained research achievements in internationally acclaimed academic journals as the first author or corresponding author, and those who show outstanding potential in scientific research and technological innovation, with a research direction of positive prospect, and have obtained recognition at home or abroad for his or her professional achievements.
(3) Academic Talents: For those who have achieved high-level professional achievements, and who possess strong innovations and outstanding potential in research.
2. Full-time researcher
(1) Distinguished researcher / distinguished associate researcher / research assistant: For those who are exceptional postdoctoral or doctoral researchers from well-known universities or research institutions at home or abroad, and who have obtained research achievements and demonstrate promising academic potential, or individuals with work experience in reputable universities or institutions.
(2) Postdoctoral researcher: For those who have obtained a PhD for no more than three years, and who are exceptional researchers at home or abroad with high academic level and strong scientific research capabilities.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following materials:
1. Chinese and English CVs showing background, education and work experience, scientific funding and publications (indicating the latest impact factors) records in the past five years, and awards received;
2. A brief future research plan af ter joining SYSMH;
3. Any supplementary materials, including copies of academic certificates, proof of employment, proof of funding, and full text of representative papers, etc..
Contact Person：Chen Zebing, Huang Jishan, Song Fei
Address: 107 Yanjiang West Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China 510120
Apply for Faculty Position in Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly