Cyclotron Road Division Director
Cyclotron Road Division Director - 90552
Organization: AD-ETA Area Office
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking a dynamic scientific leader to serve as the Division Director for Cyclotron Road to promote entrepreneurial R&D within Berkeley Lab and build partnerships to create opportunities that contribute to the mission of the Laboratory.
Reporting to the Associate Laboratory Director for the Energy Technologies Area, the Cyclotron Road Division Director is a key member of Berkeley Lab’s scientific leadership team and provides strategic leadership for the Division’s research and entrepreneurial program. The successful candidate will ensure the quality of the entrepreneurial research in the Division, enhance existing entrepreneurial research programs and develop new programs, collaborate and coordinate with the leadership of other Berkeley Lab research divisions, and establish and sustain partnerships within the Laboratory. This position will also partner with academia and the broader ecosystem that includes industry partners, other national laboratories, and state and federal agencies. The Division Director will act as spokesperson for the Division in interactions with the Department of Energy and other government agencies. Working within the Energy Technologies Area leadership framework, the Cyclotron Road Division Direction will have accountability for Division budgets, funding, workforce planning, human resources management, environmental health and safety, property and facilities management.
Currently, the Cyclotron Road Division manages the highly successful Cyclotron Road Fellowship Program, founded by Berkeley Lab in 2015, that embeds promising entrepreneurial scientists in a community of world-class researchers and instrumentation and provides 2-year, full-time entrepreneurial fellowships to support scientists who are moving technology concepts toward first commercial products. Selected fellows are embedded at Berkeley Lab during their fellowship, where they receive funding, as well as support from Berkeley Lab staff, Laboratory facilities, and Cyclotron Road’s non-profit partner, Activate. To ensure the continued success of the program, key priorities for the Division Director are to:
• Recruit on an annual basis a cohort of entrepreneurial scientists and engineers who are determined to drive their research to the doorstep of the market.
• Develop and sustain funding to empower innovators with resources to make rapid progress translating their ideas to a viable product, and direct a program of training, mentorship, and networking tailored to support the challenges of technology innovation.
• Position fellows for market penetration and broad societal impact by enabling them to identify the optimal path to market for their technology across a broad spectrum of commercialization models.
• Expand the Division to include other entrepreneurial R&D initiatives.
As a member of Berkeley Lab’s senior management team, the Cyclotron Road Division Director is expected to actively support Laboratory-wide initiatives, especially our responsible stewardship of Berkeley Lab’s research, people and assets, and promote a diverse and welcoming culture at the Lab. This is an exciting career opportunity to make substantial leadership contributions that advance Berkeley Lab’s fundamental mission of providing world-class science, forging important internal and external partnerships and pursuing entrepreneurial R&D initiatives.
What You Will Do:
• Provide scientific leadership for the Division’s research and entrepreneurial program.
• Develop a long-term entrepreneurial research vision and plan for attaining that vision and develop shorter-term objectives and schedules.
• Provide consultation to the Associate Laboratory Director regarding new initiatives and the strategic direction of the Cyclotron Road Division.
• Support Division Cyclotron Road Fellows in achieving research goals; set high expectations for research quality and productivity; ensure that quality and productivity expectations are met and that research and development is completed on schedule, assuring that staff has excellent research capabilities consistent with research goals.
• Collaborate effectively with other Berkeley investigators to define and achieve common or cross-cutting research goals.
• In coordination with the Energy Technologies Associate Laboratory Director, act as chief spokesperson for the Division in interactions with external agencies, including DOE. Serve as a key liaison to officials within DOE, EERE and related areas.
• Facilitate collaborative research activities and programs with UC Berkeley and other research institutions, and develop cooperative programs with industry to the mutual benefit of Berkeley Lab and its partners.
• Maintain and develop Cyclotron Road’s funding; interact with project managers at DOE and other funding agencies; and market research capabilities.
• Assure effective communication and transfer of research findings through active participation in professional organizations; membership in standard-setting organizations; and service on professional, national and international committees related to Berkeley Lab work.
• Working through the Energy Technologies Area Office, ensure operational efficiencies across the full range of operations areas, including budgets, funding, workforce planning, human resources management, environmental health and safety, property, space and facilities management. Strategically manage critical human resource processes, such as annual salary and performance management process, scientific staff promotions, and other key personnel concerns and actions.
• Establish a culture of excellence and inclusion by recruiting a diverse population of outstanding scientists and staff, enthusiastically supporting and promoting their career development.
• Work as a team member with other scientific and operational Division Directors, the Associate Laboratory Directors, Chief Operations Officer, and the Laboratory Directors to advance the interests of Cyclotron Road and Berkeley Lab, and assure efficient, effective, and safe operation of the Laboratory.
• Provide substantial contributions to the formulation and direction of Laboratory programs that enhance Berkeley Lab’s preeminence as a National Laboratory.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in science or relevant branch of engineering, plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience beyond doctorate; or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
• Experience in developing and funding high-risk/high-reward projects.
• Proven dynamic and passionate leader who can establish, communicate, and execute a vision for Cyclotron Road.
• Recognized national and international reputation and record of accomplishment. Distinguished track record of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
• Ability to interact at the highest level of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner and in a way that appropriately represents the Laboratory.
• Ability to interact effectively with funding agencies, such as DOE; familiarity with relevant research sponsors.
• Experience leading and motivating R&D teams, and experience communicating results with a broad set of stakeholders.
• Expertise in strategic planning, developing research projects and research funding, managing budgets and completing projects on time.
• Proven track record of promoting key values of diversity, equity, inclusion, safety, quality, and security.
• Experience in human resource management and a commitment to mentoring and career development.
• Expertise in technology transfer and research implementation.
The posting may remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please submit your CV and letter of interest by August 15, 2020.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• The Cyclotron Road Division Director for Projects is a career position that is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Laboratory Director, and this appointment is at will and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• This position is subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the California Political Reform Act of 1974. The successful candidate for this position will be required to file financial interest statements upon assuming this position, annually while holding this position, and when leaving this position.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=183868 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits).
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html). Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.