Director of the Rocky Mountain Herbarium
The University of Wyoming seeks to hire an outstanding Plant Evolutionary Biologist to serve as Director of the Rocky Mountain Herbarium (http://rmh.uwyo.edu). The search is open rank, and the faculty appointment will be in the Department of Botany (http://www.uwyo.edu/botany).
The Rocky Mountain Herbarium contains over 1.3 million specimens and is the largest collection of Rocky Mountain vascular plants. The herbarium has been a leader in the development of plant specimen imaging and informatics, and is poised to support new research and educational opportunities.
The Director will contribute to scholarship in the department and in interdisciplinary programs by leading a vigorous research program in plant evolutionary biology. The Director will lead the herbarium into a new era of research, education, and outreach, including providing a vision for new directions for collections-based research, building collaborations with other biodiversity initiatives at UW and with natural resource agencies, and seeking funds to support the herbarium. The Director of the RMH reports to the Department Head of Botany, and will supervise a herbarium curator, who is responsible for managing the operations of the herbarium.
- A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline
- Record of academic accomplishment in plant evolutionary biology and management of biological collections
- Successful record of extramurally funded research in plant evolutionary biology
- Expertise in herbaria and collections management
- Exceptional vision for directing an herbarium
- Excellent record of teaching in classroom or non-classroom settings
- Experience in administration and fundraising for academic programs or collections
- Experience in successful interdisciplinary collaboration and outreach
- Prior appointment at the level of Assistant Professor or above, or equivalent within a museum or botanical garden
Complete online application, including the following components that document the applicant's qualifications, and submit via https://uwyo.taleo.net/careersection/00_ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=20001209&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FDenver
Contact information for three references
Statement that describes the candidate’s research program
Statement that describes the applicant’s vision for directing the herbarium
Statement of teaching experience and philosophy
Statement that describes the applicant’s commitment and ability to work with and include diverse participants in science education and scholarship
Review of applications will begin September 1, 2020 and will continue until a suitable applicant is found.
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.