Staff Scientist, Assay Development
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics with unprecedented flexibility and to understand biology for the improvement of healthcare. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness. We offer excellent benefits, which include a 401K plan, competitive health benefits, flexible vacation, and equity incentives.
The staff scientist contributor in this role will be asked to determine and analyze design approaches for biochemical assays and applications. Resolve DOE challenges for complex biochemical systems from both a biophysical and biochemical perspective. This role will require working with complex biochemical assays to understand to n-dimensional biochemical/biophysical interactions using high throughput surface assays. The person in this role will be asked to perform advanced methods/techniques for testing and evaluation and provide project leadership, technical consultation, work direction, and training to junior staff. In addition, this role will require work without appreciable direction on assigned projects/programs and participation in determining objectives of assignments.
Education Training and Work Related Experience:
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in a technical discipline or equivalent
- 3-4+ years industry related experience and/or training;
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and understand fundamental biochemical assays as relate to pre-steady state kinetics.
- Design and understand fundamental biochemical assays as related to clinical assays for biomarker discovery.
- Apply fundamental understanding optical design, motion control, fluidics, and electronics to implement automation for HT biochemical assay instrumentation.
- Design, develop and execute experimental plan independently as well as in a small team.
- Interact closely with engineers to develop comprehensive solutions for high throughput assay development and screening.
- Participate in intellectual property creation.
- Provide guidance and work assignment to technicians
Must have experience in the following technical areas:
- High throughput assay development and DOE design.
- Thorough knowledge of biochemical assays and applications to solve and understand complex biochemical systems
- Hands-on laboratory skills for assembly, alignment, calibration, and evaluation of optical systems.
Desired experience in the following technical areas:
- Protein purification and engineering.
- Enzyme kinetics modeling and studies
- Familiarity with JMP software.
- Flow cells/microfluidics consumables impacting instrumentation design.
- Image processing and complex data analysis for HT assay data output.
- Experience in liquid handling systems.
- Programming skills: Matlab, Java, IDE, R.
Leadership and management skills
- Success in this position requires frequent communication with peers and management. These relationships must be built on respect, integrity, cooperation, teamwork and professionalism.
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills.
- Ability to lead program teams.
Job Type: Full-time
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Apply for Staff Scientist, Assay Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly