Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Faculty Classification: AY
Faculty Status: Tenure-Track
Status: Open Until Filled
Department Name: Biology & Chemistry
Job Number: FAC2019-332
Priority Screening Date: 11/17/2019
Recruitment Status: Apply now! Priority screening date is November 17, 2019.
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral.
The Department of Biology and Chemistry at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) invites applications for a tenure-track chemistry faculty position at the assistant level to begin in Fall 2020. We seek applicants with a demonstrated commitment to teaching and research.
- Teaching expectations will be both in lower division chemistry courses and associated lab and electives in the upper division in the applicant's specialty or area of expertise
- The candidate must employ innovative teaching and learning techniques that engage diverse students through active learning, course-based research, and the appropriate use of technology
- There will be a need to develop and maintain a research program that provides opportunities for undergraduates; To do so the candidate must have plans to pursue and obtain extramural funding to support an active research program
- The candidate must sustain scholarly research in chemistry or chemistry education leading to publications and professional visibility
- The successful candidate will collaborate with other faculty and professional outreach programs in the region
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or Biochemistry by the time of appointment
- Commitment to and experience in teaching undergraduates
- Expertise in any area of chemistry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Interest in mentoring undergraduate student research projects and/or internships
- Strong interest in contributing to lower division chemistry education as well as specialty upper division courses
- Demonstrated experience with course and curriculum development
- Proven ability and desire to mentor and teach students from diverse cultural, ethnic, educational, and economic backgrounds
- A record of scholarly achievement including publications, grantsmanship, and external funding
- Demonstrated leadership skills
Other Related Information:
The Department of Biology and Chemistry supports the development of the chemistry curriculum and courses to support the Biology, Environmental Science, Technology and Policy, Kinesiology, and Marine Science Bachelor of Science majors, and coming soon a new degree in Agricultural Crop and Soil Science. The Chemistry Minor has been the successful launch into PhD programs in both Chemistry and Biochemistry, as well as analytical careers. These programs all emphasize the critical thinking and technical skills necessary to train students in the biomedical, environmental, and agricultural workforce, succeed in high level graduate programs in the biosciences, and solve complex environmental problems.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The incumbent is required to maintain confidentiality as outlined in the Department of Educations Family Educational Rights and Privacy and Californias Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
Compensation and Benefits:
CAMPUS HOUSING INFORMATION
How to Apply:
To apply, visit https://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/5526
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application including three (3) references who can speak to teaching and research abilities, and submit required documents by the priority screening date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library (map).
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency