iBiology is seeking a full-time Director of The Explorer’s Guide to Biology (“XBio”) (http://www.explorebiology.org) who will lead the next phase of this project to reinvent the undergraduate biology “textbook.” XBio presents biology through the lens of scientific inquiry and discovery, rather than facts, and adopts a storytelling approach using a combination of text, illustration and video. We are dedicated to make XBio freely available to learners and educators around the world through an online platform. XBio is a project of iBiology (http://www.ibiology.org), a non-profit organization dedicated to the free, worldwide dissemination of scientific knowledge in the life sciences.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Oversee the production pipeline for new Narrative, Key Experiments and other materials, which will involve planning content with leading scientists and editing their content.
- Oversee the work of the XBio artist and other multimedia production contractors and organize all media assets.
- Work with others at iBiology/Wonder Collaborative in producing new video content.
- Develop strategies to evaluate XBio and implement changes based upon evaluation.
- Work with TNQ Technologies in further developing the online platform.
- Work with educators and contractors in producing associated classroom materials.
- Write about XBio for blogs, newsletters, and social media, and develop and implement marketing ideas.
- Be a spokesperson for XBio in various venues, including national/international meetings.
- Innovate new products for XBio and revise material for new audiences.
- Identify and oversee contractors who can assist in some of the above goals.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in the biological sciences.
- Experience in leading a project of comparable magnitude to XBio.
- Experience in biology education, particularly at the undergrad level.
- Experience in managing a team of people.
- Great strength as a writer and/or educator.
- Proven relationship-building skills with people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Job location: iBiology is based in San Francisco, but the job location is flexible within the United States through remote work.
- Grant-funded staff position with iBiology, with salary commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, disability, and 401(k).
- Equal opportunity employer.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
- Start date is January 2, 2020 with flexibility.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and names/emails of 3 individuals who can be contacted as references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for XBio Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly