Senior Human Geneticist - CV, Metabolic,Musculoskeletal
Senior Human Geneticist - CV, Metabolic,Musculoskeletal
The Regeneron Genetics Center (RGC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, whose goals are to apply large scale human genetics to identify new drug targets and to guide the development of therapeutics programs and precision medicine. Building upon Regeneron's strengths in mouse genetics and genetics-driven drug discovery and development, the RGC specializes in ultra-high-throughput exome sequencing, large scale informatics and data analysis encompassing genomics and electronic health records, and translating genetic discoveries into new biology and drug discovery opportunities. The RGC leverages multiple approaches including large population based studies, Mendelian genetics and family based studies, founder population genetics, and large-scale disease focused projects and has developed a network of over 50 collaborations with research organizations around the world. Including some of the largest sequencing studies in the world, such as the DiscovEHR study in collaboration with Geisinger Health System, and an initiative to sequence 500,000 participants with the UK Biobank, the RGC has built one of the largest human genetics databases, including sequence data from over several hundred thousand participants and rapidly growing. Our interests encompass a breadth of different areas across all therapeutic areas and the RGC is highly integrated into all facets of research and development at Regeneron. Program goals include target discovery, indication discovery, and patient-disease stratification. Objectives include advancing basic science around the world through public sharing of discoveries, providing clinically-valuable insights to physicians and providers of collaborating health-care systems, improving patient outcomes, and identifying novel targets for drug development.
We are looking for a talented Human Genetics scientist to join our Cardiovascular, Metabolic and Musculoskeletal Therapeutic Area Genetics team. The position will take on responsibilities for the design, execution, and interpretation of genetics studies focusing on cardiovascular, metabolic, and musculoskeletal diseases, as part of the Therapeutic Area Genetics team. The post holder will work closely with Clinical Informatics, Analytical Genomics and other teams in the Regeneron Genetics Center. Primary responsibilities will be to lead genetics discovery projects, support new programs and collaborations, and to support the execution of overall scientific strategy in cardiovascular, metabolic and musculoskeletal disease genetics. Goals of the team will be to apply genetics to target discovery, select indications for drug programs, and identify subgroups of patients who are more likely to respond to treatment through genetic analyses.
- Work with a multidisciplinary genetics team consisting of human genetics scientists, bioinformaticians, statistical geneticists, and other team members to design, execute, and interpret genetics studies related to in cardiovascular, metabolic and musculoskeletal diseases for the RGC.
- Work in close collaboration with other Therapeutic Area Genetics team members and form a strong partnership with Analytical Genomics, Clinical Informatics and other RGC teams to deliver on complex, top-quality scientific endeavors in these Therapeutic Areas.
- Generate, summarize, and present results in internal and external meetings to a variety of audiences. Lead or contribute to the writing of scientific reports and publications.
- Represent the Therapeutic Area Genetics team in cross-functional initiatives within RGC and Regeneron.
- Collaborate with external industry and academic partners in scientific consortia.
- PhD in Genetic Epidemiology, Statistical Genetics (with an applied focus), Human Genetics or similar with good analytical skills.
- 2-4 years of experience or corresponding level of achievement in the field of large-scale human genetics post PhD.
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead human genetics studies delivering novel genetic findings and medically relevant gene discoveries in a team-based environment.
- Familiarity and experience with different genetic association approaches including GWAS, exome or genome sequencing in cohort, case-control or family-based studies. Ability to use large genetic datasets such as UK Biobank or other large biobanks, TOPMed, GWAS summary statistics, GTEx or similar.
- Familiarity and experience with the applications of statistical genetics to gain medically-actionable insights, including conditional analyses, fine-mapping, quantitative traits analyses and Mendelian randomization. Ability to analyze complex loci, use gene-specific and genome-wide polygenic scores, or perform genetic studies that simulate randomized controlled trials.
- An outstanding candidate will have experience with the use of genetics in combination with other “omics” technologies (eg. metabolomics, proteomics, RNA-seq).
- Familiarity with command line interface, programming languages and statistical software (eg. Python, R, STATA), statistical genetics tools (eg. PLINK) and large-scale data platforms (eg. DataBricks, Scala).
- Interest in understanding the genetic basis and causes of Cardiovascular, Metabolic and Musculoskeletal diseases and translating this knowledge into therapeutic insights. An outstanding candidate will have previous experience with cardiovascular, metabolic or musculoskeletal phenotypes.
- Ability to work in a highly interactive environment with a diverse team of colleagues.
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to summarize and present the results of human genetic studies to a variety of audiences.
- A commitment to high-quality science and to the highest standards of research and work ethics and integrity
This is an opportunity to join our select team that is already leading the way in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry. Apply today and learn more about Regeneron’s unwavering commitment to combining good science & good business.