Assistant Professor - Biology (Immunologist)
The Biology Department at the State University of New York at Fredonia has an opening for a tenure track position at the Assistant Professor level for an Immunologist beginning in the Fall of 2020. The Biology Department at Fredonia has recently opened a new science center housing advanced molecular research tools including confocal and fluorescent microscopy, modern animal facility, cell culture, flow cytometry, and mass spectrometry. Candidates must possess a Ph.D. in a relevant discipline by August 2020 and have a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and advising. Postdoctoral research and teaching experience is expected. Ideal candidates will have expertise in immunology and diagnostic techniques. Experience in biochemistry or microbiology are preferred. The successful candidate will direct our accredited Medical Technology Program. The candidate is expected to develop an active research program involving undergraduate and Master’s students. This research program must lead to grant applications and publication in peer reviewed journals. Instructional responsibilities include courses in immunology and either biochemistry or microbiology, as well as upper-division and graduate courses in the candidate's area of expertise.
A review of applications will begin October 21, 2019 and will continue until filled.
The Department of Biology offers Biology, Molecular Genetics, Medical Technology, Biology Adolescence Education, and Exercise Science programs at the undergraduate level, and Master’s degree programs (thesis and non-thesis). The Biology Department is located in the beautiful Fredonia Science Center which opened in 2014. In addition to funds for construction, $4.2M was spent on new scientific equipment for these programs making them some of the best equipped in the state.
Rewards and Benefits
- Competitive compensation plus comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, and vision insurance and retirement plan options including a fixed pension plan or a 401(A) with generous employer contributions;
- Paid leave provisions including sick and holiday leave; impressive educational benefits including tuition-free study plus supplemental tuition aid;
- A rich array of services, programs and benefits to help employees advance in their career and enhance the quality of their personal life, including professional development programs and services, employee assistance and wellness programs, discounted membership to the on-campus fitness center, and access to the Campus and Community Child Care Center.
- Reporting to the Chair, the successful candidate will:
- Teach courses in Immunology, Biochemistry or Microbiology, Upper-level electives in the candidate’s area of expertise, and Capstone instruction.
- Conduct mentored research that leads to peer-reviewed publications.
- Direct the Medical Technology program including maintenance of articulation with clinical affiliates and compliance with accrediting bodies.
- Contribute to curriculum development and refinement.
- Observe regular office hours and provide academic advisement to students.
- Participate in committees and provide service to the department, college, university, and profession.
- Be aware of, understand, and follow all university policies.
- Candidate must have a Ph.D. in immunology or a relevant discipline by August 2020.
- Expertise in modern immunology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively, and in a collegial and professional manner, with students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and constituents in support of campus and department mission.
- Demonstrated commitment to the university, division, and profession.
- Postdoctoral experience in modern immunology.
- Expertise in microbiology or biochemistry.
- Experience with clinical diagnostics relevant to medical technology.
- Research program that provides rich opportunities for undergraduate research.
- Demonstrated track record of peer-reviewed publications in the candidate’s field.
- University teaching experience.
- Experience coordinating student internships and/or programs relevant to medical technology.
- Experience with instructional technology.
- Interest in and commitment to community engagement.
- This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure track position beginning August 2020.
- Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
- Fredonia prides itself on an outstanding workforce. To continually support organizational excellence, the university conducts background screens on applicants.