Bioinformatician/Senior Research Associate
Bioinformatician / Senior Research Associate, Dermatology
September 20, 2019
The Integrated Microbiome Core Bioinformatics Programmer will focus on providing the analysis using post NGS microbiome data (bacterial and fungal) to measure and predict if microbiome dysbiosis contributes to the health/unhealthy composition of the host. The envisioned Bioinformatician will provide support for the function of the Integrated Microbiome Core in the various background diseases including IBD and Cancer. This support will involve the analysis of 16S, ITS, and viral metagenomics data to discover inter-relationships of these various data sets with respect to data collected from different cohorts, including metadata such as personal surveys/health questionnaires. In addition, the selected candidate should be able to apply machine learning tools to predictive analytics to determine whether the microbiome can be used as biomarker of dysbiosis and disease status.
The Bioinformatician’s responsibilities will include statistical design of experiments, analysis and reporting, and assembly of figures for manuscript preparation.
You will be part of a highly motivated, multi-disciplinary team all driven by a passion to improve our understanding of the microbial mechanisms that drive complex, chronic diseases and response to treatment.
1. Work with moderate independence, perform all phases of high-throughput data analysis from data processing and quality control through final analytical results
2. Work with computational tools for the exploration of high-dimensionality datasets and test statistical models
3. Work with researchers to translate these models and analyze data from experiments
4. Perform analysis of biomedical research data using descriptive statistics and inference tests
5. Supporting Core scientists by assessing their bioinformatics needs and defining proper informatics solution(s)
6. Write, submit, and help with grant applications
7. Produce high quality scientific reports, presentations and papers.
8. Help develop toolsets and bioinformatics applications that embed analysis methodologies
Perform other duties such as coordinate and facilitate collaborative experiments with other investigators
Department: Daily contact with supervisor and Department Staff
University: Frequent contact with other departments
External: Occasional contact with vendors to exchange information
Students: Continuous contact with students to provide information and analytical assistance
Department: The Center for Medical Mycology and the Integrated Microbiome Core, Dr. Mahmoud Ghannoum’s laboratory, Department of Dermatology
University: Case Western Reserve University
The position does not include any direct supervisory responsibility
Experience: 3 + years of related experience post-graduation required
Education/Licensing: Ph.D. in Bioinformatics/Statistics/Math or related field
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
1. Work experience in at least one scripting language such as R or Python.
2. Work experience with Linux, shell scripting and HPC environment.
3. Previous experience in the field of microbiology is a plus.
4. Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively within a team. Must be highly motivated, responsible, dependable and a self-starter. Must demonstrate a strong desire to learn and to advance research.
5. Professional and effective oral and written communication skills; and good interpersonal skills with the ability to work and communicate with various individuals within and external to the University. Must be able to clearly relay information to the PI and other researchers and prepare written documents for grant submissions, manuscripts, publications, etc. as needed.
6. Strong organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Must demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy, time management skills, and follow-through.
7. Must demonstrate flexibility and ability to work under pressure; must be able and willing to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timeline.
Position will include occasional travel.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants should send their CV to each of the following:
Resumes should be sent to each of the following:
Dr. Mahmoud Ghannoum: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mauricio Retuerto: email@example.com
Dr. Thomas McCormick: firstname.lastname@example.org
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.