CEO Sydney Quantum Academy
- Play a key leadership role in the establishment of the Sydney Quantum Academy and join an enthusiastic and growing research community
- Located at our Camperdown Campus
- Full-time, 5 year fixed term with attractive salary and generous superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) is a new and exciting joint venture between The University of Sydney, The University of New South Wales, Macquarie University and University of Technology Sydney to establish Sydney (and Australia) as a global destination for talent, investment and innovation in relation to quantum technology and the future quantum economy.
As the inaugural CEO this is your opportunity to:
- establish and lead the implementation and operationalization of the Academy’s strategic plan and vision
- oversee the development and implementation of the SQA educational programs
- promote the Academy among government, industry, university and community stakeholders
- use your entrepreneurial skills to promote NSW’s strengths in quantum technology
- actively support engagement between SQA PhD students and industry partners and deliver outreach activities to NSW high school students
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a CEO who possesses:
- postgraduate qualifications with extensive relevant experience in management and business administration or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- superior collaborative leadership skills and experience
- strong communication skills and the ability to engage different audiences across academia, government, industry and the broader community
- experience engaging with and attracting investment from industry
- strong experience in operations and/or setting up systems
This is a fantastic opportunity for a skilled people leader and networker who enjoys working at the interface of academia and industry.
As an innovative, collaborative model, the SQA will offer PhD scholarships, Visiting Fellowships and coordinate PhD coursework and UG and PG coursework and pathways across the four universities to develop the next generation of quantum scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs. The Academy will also promote entrepreneurship and support the development of a quantum eco-system across Sydney and NSW.
Another important role is to engage with industry, governments and the broader community to promote understanding about quantum science and the opportunities and challenges that will emerge with these transformative technologies - including the ethical, political and social challenges.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australias first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information and advice on how to apply
Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1807/0919F.
Closing date: 8 October 2019
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.