Open Faculty Positions
South China University of Technology (SCUT) is a leading public research-intensive educational institution in China. Located in Guangzhou, a thriving metropolis in South China, SCUT is now one of the 36 Class-A universities under the Chinese Ministry of Education (MoE)’s national Double First Class University Plan.
SCUT is a comprehensive research university with particular strengths in engineering, sciences, medicine, business, economics, humanities, law and other disciplines. A significant number of SCUT disciplines are now ranked in the nation’s top 10%, including light industrial technology and engineering, architecture, food science and engineering, chemical engineering and technology, environmental science and engineering, material science and engineering, mechanical engineering, and management science and engineering. According to Clarivate Analytics, SCUT’s number of disciplines listed in ESI global top 1‰is tied for 6th nationwide and ranks 1st in South China.
On March 15, 2017, the agreement of constructing the Guangzhou International Campus（GZIC）of SCUT was signed by four parties: the Ministry of Education (MoE) of the People’s Republic of China, Guangdong provincial government, Guangzhou municipal government and South China University of Technology (SCUT). It is the first and only campus that MoE cooperates with the university and the local governments to build a world-class university in cooperation with top overseas universities. The campus aims to help drive innovation and serve the country through education and research activities, as well as contribute to the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong and Macao Greater Bay Area.
Located in Panyu district of Guangzhou City, the SCUT International Campus covers an area of 110 hectares with 1.4 million square meters of floor area. At present, the construction of campus is progressing very smoothly; the first phase is expected to open in September 2019, and the remainder is marked for completion by the end of 2021. The total investment of the campus is estimated to exceed 20 billion RMB. Upon completion, the campus will enroll about 15,000 students and employ 1,800 staff.
In line with SCUT’s strengths in engineering, the SCUT International Campus will focus on disciplines such as intelligent manufacturing, biological medicine, advanced materials, ecological environment, AI and other emerging engineering and interdisciplinary fields. Ten new engineering schools and a host of cross disciplinary research institutes will be setup on the campus. So far, four schools have been established, namely, the School of Biomedical Sciences and Engineering, the S. M. Wu School of Intelligent Engineering, the School of Molecular Science and Engineering, and the School of Microelectronics. Together with related research institutes, the following three frontier discipline clusters are being formed: biomedical engineering and life science, artificial intelligence and high-end manufacturing, and advanced materials and devices.
The schools offer a complete system of undergraduate, master, and doctoral programs. Enrollment for graduate students has been open since September 2018, while undergraduate enrollment will begin during September 2019 in the fields of biomedical engineering, robotics engineering, intelligent manufacturing engineering, molecular science and engineering, and microelectronics science and engineering.
The SCUT International Campus will adopt a tenure track faculty system. We welcome applicants, who show great potential and/or have excellent academic and research records.
Apart from the areas listed below, qualified scholars working in related interdisciplinary frontiers are also welcome to apply for faculty positions.
Schools and Disciplines for Recruitment
- The School of Biomedical Sciences and Engineering
Disciplines of Recruitment:
Biomaterials, Nanomedicine and Drug Delivery, Biomedical Imaging and Molecular Imaging, Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Tumor Biology, Biopharmaceuticals and Pharmaceutical Engineering, Systems Biology, Single-cell Biology, Computational and Genomic Medicine, Immunology and Immune Engineering, Biomedical Big Data and Precision Medicine, etc.
Outstanding scholars in these fields are cordially invited to apply.
Tel: +86 20 39380916
- The S. M. Wu School of Intelligent Engineering
Disciplines of Recruitment:
Artificial Intelligence, Industrial Big Data, Electrical Engineering, Information System Engineering, Robotics and Automation, Internet of Things, Advanced Manufacturing, as well as Sensors and Actuators, or closely related areas.
Outstanding scholars in mechanical engineering, automation engineering, electrical engineering, information system engineering, software engineering and intelligent engineering, other related fields, as well as interdisciplinary fields are welcomed to apply for corresponding positions.
Contact: Ms. Jia
Tel: +86 20 87112478
- The School of Molecular Science and Engineering
Disciplines of Recruitment:
Molecular Design and Synthesis, Multi-scale Structure Regulation, Soft Matter Function and Intelligent Advanced Materials, Special Materials Under Extreme Conditions, Advanced Information and Energy Materials, Advanced Health and Medical Materials Basic Research and Applied Engineering, etc.
Outstanding scholars in physics, chemistry, materials, biomedical science and other related areas are cordially invited to apply.
Contact: Ms. Dai
Tel: +86 20 22237323
Website: https ://www2.scut.edu.cn/MoSE/
4. School of Microelectronics
Disciplines of Recruitment:
RF / Analog Integrated Circuit Design, Digital Integrated Circuit Design, Advanced Materials and Devices, Smart Sensor and Integrated Circuit Packaging and Reliability, etc.
Outstanding scholars in these fields and other related areas are cordially invited to apply.
Contact: Ms. Zhang
Tel: +86 20 87110040
- Faculty position (tenure track): Assistant Professor or Associate Professor
- Requires a doctoral degree in the relevant discipline.
- Applicants should have equivalent qualifications and research records to serve as a tenure-track assistant professor or associate professor at world-class universities or research institutes.
- Applicants are expected to work full time with a tenure track period of 6 years, consisting of a first employment contract of 3 years and a subsequent renewable one of 3 years. Successful candidates in the rank of associate professor may apply for an early tenure review within the normal window of 6 years.
Faculty position (tenured): Associate Professor or Full Professor
- Applicants have served as a tenured associate professor or in an equivalent position at a world-class university or research institute, or have an academic record of the same standard.
- All applicants are expected to work full time on campus after accepting the offer.
Working and Living Benefits
1. Working Conditions:
- Those who have been employed in faculty positions simultaneously qualify as graduate supervisors and will be offered postgraduate enrollment quotas.
- Qualified postdoctoral fellows recruited by those who are employed in faculty positions will be paid for by the university for two years.
- Start-up research funds and suitable research space will be provided in accordance with the requirements of the position.
- The university will support faculty members to apply for various competitive grants from the national government, Guangdong province, Guangzhou municipality and enterprises to obtain scientific research support.
- Salary: a competitive salary corresponding to the position will be provided comparable to that of top international universities. For applicants who have obtained faculty positions in world-class universities, the salary can be negotiated with reference to the applicant's current salary and benefits.
- Housing benefits: on-campus rental apartment (subject to application and approval) and a housing subsidy ranging from RMB 1 million to 10 million may be provided according to relevant policies of Guangdong province and Guangzhou municipality.
- Other benefits: according to relevant Chinese policies for non-Chinese citizens, the university will pay the employee component of Chinese social insurance, and help with children’s enrollment in the university’s kindergarten, primary, and secondary schools.
- Please send the application materials to the mailbox of the contact person for respective school or to firstname.lastname@example.org (the academic recruitment email address of the campus). Your application materials should include your curriculum vitae, a research plan, and a teaching plan (all in PDF format). In addition, your three referees should send their recommendation letters to email@example.com, indicating the name of the applicant/s as the subject of the email.
- We will respond to any questions about recruitment and relevant policies in a timely manner through the contact person of the respective school and via the academic recruitment email address.
SCUT International Campus in Guangzhou represents a bold step for higher education in China. It will rely on the rising world-class city cluster of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area to inject vitality, knowledge, and innovation into China and the world. We welcome you to join us, fulfill your dreams, and witness the growth of the campus!
The faculty recruitment of SCUT International Campus is ongoing, and we sincerely invite outstanding academic talents from all ranks to join us!