Postdoctoral Fellow position (sleep research) at WPI-IIIS, University of Tsukuba
The Lazarus/Oishi Laboratory at International Institute for Integrative Sleep Medicine (WPI-IIIS) of University of Tsukuba has an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow who would like to pursue sleep research. The new postdoc will work with a team of scientists, technical staff, and students to investigate glial-neuronal regulation of sleep and neural circuits underlying arousal state control. The position will start as soon as possible on or after January, 2020, and is full time and annually renewed.
The WPI-IIIS in Tsukuba, Japan’s Science City north of Tokyo, is one of the world’s premier institutes aiming to elucidate the fundamental principles of sleep/wake biology, develop new strategies to diagnose, prevent, and treat sleep disorders, and contribute to promote human health through research activities. WPI-IIIS is funded by Japanese government agency under the World Premier International Research Center Initiative (WPI). At WPI-IIIS, an assorted population of scientists from multiple research fields (including molecular genetics, neuroscience, medicinal chemistry, and experimental medicine) gather under the leadership of Masashi Yanagisawa to initiate truly groundbreaking studies.
- A doctoral degree, especially with prior experiencein neuroscience and expertise in neural circuit studies using systems neuroscience techniques.
- Strong data analysis skills, a publication record, curiosity to seek and evaluate new cutting-edge technologies in related areas.
- A good command in spoken and written English.
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines, strong commitment to collaborative teamwork, strong dedication to train and supervise students, excellent problem solving and experiment managing skills.
*Experience in pharmacology and molecular biology is very welcome.
What we offer:
- Annual salary based on University regulations (to be decided after consideration of experience, etc.)
- Membership of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association.
- Payment of commutation allowance if certain conditions are satisfied.
- Opportunities exist to collaborate with medicinal chemists on the discovery of new drugs to treat nocturnal sleep disturbances, excessive sleepiness and/or psychiatric disorders.
How to Apply:
Please send the following application documents in English by November 1, 2019. (No set format)
- Curriculum vitae
- Research biography
- List of all your research achievements
- A letter explaining your interests and particular skills for this position
- Contact information of three references (name, affiliation, e-mail address, telephone number etc.)
For postal applications: Write “Application for Postdoctoral Position Enclosed” in red ink on the envelope and post to the address below to be received by the application deadline.
For e-mail applications: Please attach all files to a cover e-mail. Please ensure that the total size of the attachments does not exceed 5MB.
*Personal information included in application documents will not be used for any purpose other than this selection process.
*Application documents will not be returned.
Address for Applications:
Associate Prof. Michael Lazarus, International Institute for Integrative Sleep Medicine, University of Tsukuba
Address: 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8575
For Further information:
IIIS Website: https://wpi-iiis.tsukuba.ac.jp
Lazarus/Oishi Lab Website: https://www.wpiiiislazaruslab.org
Enquiries or further questions should be directed to Associate Prof. Michael Lazarus
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellow position (sleep research) at WPI-IIIS, University of Tsukuba
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly