Senior Scientist, Molecular Discovery
Senior Scientist, Molecular Discovery
Pfizer Integrative Biotechnology Group (IBG) is within the Oncology division of Pfizer Worldwide Research & Development and is located in Pearl River, NY. IBG employs a multidisciplinary approach to target the cancer cell cycle and modulate the tumor microenvironment for the discovery and development of next generation oncology therapeutics and therapeutic combinations. We are seeking a qualified candidate to join the group at a Senior Scientist level and contribute to drug discovery efforts leveraging functional genomics and advanced molecular biology strategies to elucidate drug mechanism of action and identifying drug combination opportunities. The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly collaborative and motivated scientist with an interest to design and execute functional genomics screens. S/he will establish strong scientific rationale for cancer cell model selection, establish molecular approaches for optimal in vitro and in vivo biological endpoint read-outs, and contribute to hit prioritization and the design and execution of drug target validation and mechanism of action studies focused on prioritized hits in a collaborative team environment.
Design and execute CRISPR and/or RNAi functional genomic screens in vitro and in vivo for the discovery of novel development opportunities:
- Determining optimal CRISPR screen parameters
- Contribute to functional genomics data analysis to identify and prioritize screen hits.
- Design and execute experiments to characterize and validate screen hits in the most optimal cancer model context.
- Design and lead studies both in vitro and in vivo to determine potential mechanism of action of screen hits using appropriate assays in select tumor models.
- Design and execute studies that leverage multiple omics platforms that include proteomics, metabolomics and high content imaging and/or flow-based assays for characterization of in vitro/ in vivo target biology.
- Manage project team meetings and provide engaging presentations to our department and Oncology Research Unit to share research highlights.
- Work to grow our department external reputations by both publishing research in high-tier journals and presenting your team’s work at international meetings.
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related discipline with postdoctoral or industry experience
- Solid background in tumor biology
- Expertise and hands-on experience with functional genomics screens, mammalian cell culture, flow cytometry and common laboratory assays to monitor gene and protein expression
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and highly organized in terms of goal setting and achieving
- Experience in proinflammatory signaling, such as interferon and NFkB signaling
- Broad understanding of both oncogenic signaling pathways and molecular mechanism that contribute to immune evasion with an interest in identifying opportunities for drug induced sensitivities that are relative to tumor intrinsic biology across a broad spectrum of tumor molecular subtypes
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated experience performing in vitro and in vivo CRISPR/RNAi functional genomic screens at scale with diverse libraries in multiple cell models
- Must contribute to the building of a culture that embraces scientific excellence, urgency, continuous learning, and increasing our team’s ability to deliver novel drug development opportunities through the rapid incorporation emerging biotechnologies to ensure our team continues research on the leading-edge of cancer biology
Perform work in a laboratory setting
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
There will be less than 10% travel.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus