A position is open for a Post-doctorate Associate in the School of Plant Sciences under the direction of Drs. Monica Schmidt and Eliot Herman. The location is in the Keating (BIO5) building. Incumbents will be focusing on different facets of plant molecular biology research such as:
- Isolation, quantification and analysis of genomic DNA
- Isolation, quantification and analysis of RNA from plant tissue
- Isolation, quantification and analysis (Western, 1D, 2D gels) of protein from plant tissue
- Sterile media preparation and aseptic tissue culture/transformation of plant material
- Gene cloning and expression construct construction experience beneficial.
- General molecular biology methods: restriction digestions and analysis (ie electrophoresis)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- DNA and RNA isolation, and QC, from plant tissue;
- Protein isolation, quantification and analysis from plant tissue;
- Cloning of DNA fragments and validation;
- Perform crosses of soybean plants;
- Perform restriction digestions and electrophoresis;
- Prepare all solutions accurately;
- Maintain labels, and label samples, accurately;
- Maintain equipment and laboratory cleanliness;
- Organize samples with care to prevent errors;
- Use image equipment and interpret data;
- Operate various types of equipment in a standard molecular biology laboratory;
- Operate various computer software and informatics tools (Windows, Unix based command line, MS Office suite, etc.);
- Record data accurately and keep an accurate-complete daily notebook of work;
- Follow instructions carefully and communicate proficiently in English;
- Work cooperatively with other members of a team.
- Be capable to perform other molecular biology methods, quality control and use good organizational skills to work efficiently and productively
- Perform daily and weekly work independently;
- Critically analyze data and results to appropriately troubleshoot results;
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- PhD in Life Science or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a molecular biology-related laboratory using techniques as described in the position summary above.
- Demonstrated experience in molecular biology techniques as described in the position summary above.
- Demonstrated experience extracting DNA / RNA / protein from plants;
- Documented experience in molecular biology techniques and plant engineering/breeding with soybean;
- To apply email email@example.com OR http://uacareers.com/postings/40333