Associate Principal Investigator, Bacteriology (#1530)
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Actively participates in the development, maintenance and advancement of the NBACC’s National Biological Threat Characterization Center (NBTCC) bacteriology capability for characterization of bacterial and rickettsial agents to addresses scientific questions of national significance in support of national biodefense preparedness, response, and recovery. Provides technical oversight of NBTCC Bacteriology Projects and NBTCC Bacteriology technical specialists. Areas of research include a range of topics related to the physical, biological and/or pathogenic properties of bacterial agents and aerosols containing bacterial agents. Work will be performed in state-of-the-art BSL-2/3/4 and ABSL-2/3/4 facilities that are fully staffed and equipped with a wide range of technologies for biodefense and infectious disease research.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Requires a PhD (or equivalent) in microbiology or a related field, and a minimum of 2 years of bacteriology experience; may include post-doctoral experience.
- Ability to work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors, with expert knowledge of complex scientific principles and concepts.
- Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
- Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
- Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
- Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
- Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
- Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) is required.
- May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
- Designs, implements, and executes bacteriology projects for the NBTCC program including work with standard and CDC Select Agents in BSL-2, BSL-3 and BSL-4 containment laboratories.
- Demonstrated record of conducting biological research on bacterial agents, preferably with pathogenic agents
- As a project lead, ensures compliance of activities with BNBI policies, DHS management directives, and regulations.
- Commits project resources, provides clear goals to project team members, and monitors project execution including assigning tasks to team members, and monitors and reports project status (scope accomplishments, schedule, and costs).
- Ability to effectively manage multiple parallel laboratory activities is essential
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, with excellent problem solving skills
- Maintains accurate and complete records and collects/analyzes technical and programmatic data.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment to achieve results
- Attends conferences, workshops, meetings, training programs to benchmark processes and operations to continually develop NBTCC bacteriology capabilities.
- Assists with and develops Annual Research Plans to address sponsor priorities, Project Plans, budgets, schedules, resource requirements, and experimental plans for NBTCC projects. Provides status updates including monthly reports, quarterly reports, interim and final study reports and ensures milestones and deliverables are completed on time and on budget.
- As a select agent principal investigator, maintains compliance with all relevant regulations and policies and proactively identifies improvements and/or reports issues in safety, biosecurity and quality compliance.
- Develops protocols and maintains records, collaborates with other scientists, participates in the review of prior and on-going studies, and presents research results in written an oral formats.
- Develops project specific SOPs, safety and biosecurity compliance documents related to the project and promotes compliant operations.
- Ensures equipment, reagents, and supplies are maintained and used properly
- Proficiency in utilizing standard software for data analysis
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Ability to work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. May be technical project lead on multiple projects.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while mentoring lower level personnel.
- Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
- Maintains and evaluates records of analysis and reviews laboratory results, plans and reports.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
apply to url: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=2dbb865a-891f-4cfd-b874-312bc74233dd&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=271740&source=CC3&lang=en_US