Research Associate / MR Physics (f/m/x)
As large provider of maximum care with a broad and comprehensive range of patient-centered services, the University Hospital of Cologne is committed to clinical excellence, innovative research and high-quality education. It is one of the leading university hospitals in Germany. With about 1.500 beds, the University Hospital of Cologne delivers care to close to 300.000 patients every year, of which 60.000 are inpatients. It is one of the largest employers in the city of Cologne with more than 10.000 employees.
Within the University Hospital of Cologne, the Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, headed by Professor David Maintz, is opening a full-time position as a
Research Associate / MR Physics (f/m/x)
in the Dept. of Radiology
with initially a fixed-term contract of 3 years regulated by the German law (WissZeitVG).
With over 130 employees, the Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology performs a broad range of diagnostic procedures and image-guided therapies. About 200.000 radiological exams are conducted each year. Next to providing state-of-the-art clinical practice, the Institute focuses on the clinical development and validation of innovative solutions in the radiology and works closely with other scientific and industrial partners to bring the advances directly to the patients. With eight clinically and one experimentally used full-body scanner, MRI represents a particular methodological focus of the department. The institute offers an excellent research infrastructure, in addition to access to the clinically and experimentally dedicated MRI systems (including the possibility of access to research options), the existing infrastructure of the “Imaging Informatics Lab” for the development of new methods in the field of artificial intelligence, as well as the interdisciplinary and multimodal equipped working group "Experimental Imaging" (Professor Holger Grüll) represent an attractive aspect for interdisciplinary MRI research.
We are looking for:
- An MRI expert (PhD level) with more than four years of professional experience to expand our current research activities in the field of MRI
- Active support of ongoing research projects such as MR-HIFU
- Active participation and task coordination in public funded projects (BMBF, EU)
- Initiation of new research projects in the field of sequence development, data analysis and clinical studies with focus on fast, motion robust and quantitative MRI
- Preclinical MRI research (FELASA certificate needs to be obtained)
- Data management and documentation
- Acquisition of third-party funds for the own research group
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Academic degree in physics, medical physics, medical technology, electrical engineering, computer science or equivalent qualification
- Doctorate degree and proven academic track record in the field of MRI
- Strong experience in the field of clinical MRT research
- In-depth knowledge of MRT physics
- Hands-on experience with MatLab/Python, C/C++
- Ideally knowledge of programming on Philips systems
- Fluency in English and ideally in German (spoken and written)
- Quick comprehension, coordination and organisational skills, ability to work in a team; multicultural social skills
- An attractive clinical and scientific environment, with full access to a comprehensive spectrum of state-of-the-art radiological procedures, facilities and research tools
- Connection to the University of Cologne
- Extensive opportunities for academic career development
- Possibility to set up your own research group
- A good working atmosphere in a dynamic and ambitious department
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with other departments and partners
- In-house childcare facility
- Options for deferred compensation and pension scheme
We are seeking for a Post Doc to further develop our research track in artificial intelligence/machine learning applied in the radiology.
You will be remunerated according to the German collective wage agreement (TV-L).
An extension of the employment contract will be assessed proactively according to the legislation in force in Germany (WissZeitVG law).
The Executive Board of the University Hospital of Cologne is committed to gender diversity. To promote women in that field, priority will be given to women applications provided that the same qualifications, experience and knowledge strictly apply. Applications from disabled persons will also be prioritised along the same conditions. The position is also suitable for part-time occupation.
Further information is available here: https://radiologie.uk-koeln.de/
For further details, please contact Prof. Maintz, the clinical director of the Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Tel.: +49 221 478-82035
Have we awakened your interest? Please submit your application online at
Submissions will only be accepted if they are sent no later than 18th August 2019.
We prefer online applications, as it helps to speed up the hiring process. If not feasible, please send your complete application per mail using the following postal address: Uniklinik Köln, Geschäftsbereich Personal, 50924 Köln