Research Assistant - Preventive Medicine
- Job Type: Support Staff - Union
- Bargaining Unit: SSA
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary: N/A
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: $941.84/week
A Research Assistant is needed to work on the neurobiology of energy balance, with particular emphasis on the molecular, cellular, and circuit mechanisms through which the brain regulates food intake and energy expenditure.
- Responsible for assisting with the designing and implementing experiments critical to the lab, possibly including (but not limited to): molecular cloning, animal work, in vivocalcium imaging, and/or functional manipulations of neural circuits (e.g. optogenetics, chemogenetics).
- Perform laboratory experiments and collect data.
- Contribute to research design and implementation.
- Assist with ordering laboratory supplies .
- Mouse colony maintenance, organization, and genotyping.
- Make solutions, reagents for daily lab use.
- Calibration/upkeep of laboratory equipment.
- Interact with personnel from other related research projects.
- Assist in developing/validating/implementing new laboratory protocols.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, physics, or related science and at least 1.5 years of related experience or equivalent in training or experience.
- Must have significant prior laboratory experience.
- Must have significant experience with advanced techniques in neuroscience (stereotaxic mouse surgery, behavior, and/or immunohistochemistry).
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Participation in the medical surveillance program.
- The candidate selected for this position is required to undergo a drug screening test prior to a final offer of employment being made.
- Rodent neuroscience experience desired.
- Significant experience in molecular biology is desired, but not required.
Candidates may apply directly for the position, via the following:
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents
More searches like this
- Health Sciences Healthcare/Hospital Full Time jobs in New York
- Cardiovascular Healthcare/Hospital Full Time jobs in New York
- Clinical Research Healthcare/Hospital Full Time jobs in New York
- Healthcare Healthcare/Hospital Full Time jobs in New York
- Medicine Healthcare/Hospital Full Time jobs in New York