BIOCONTAINMENT RESEARCH ASSOCIATE II
BIOCONTAINMENT RESEARCH ASSOCIATE II or III
MICROBIOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGY
A Biocontainment Research Associate Position is available immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Thomas Geisbert, to support studies evaluating vaccines and treatments against BSL-4 viruses and to support work characterizing the pathogenesis of these agents in animal models. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in basic science. The applicant must have at least two years of experience working with laboratory animals at ABSL-2. The applicant must meet all State and Federal requirements necessary for working with Select Agents.
Preferred Qualifications: LAT or LATG certification is preferred, but not required. More than two years of experience working with viruses in BSL-3 or BSL-4 is preferred but not required. The ideal candidate would have a DOJ clearance, LAT or LATG certification, and more than two years of BSL-3 or BSL-4 experience working with laboratory animals infected with viruses or bacteria.
- Performs, coordinates and conducts standard research experiments following technical instructions in BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 work environments
- Performs functions of research projects utilizing hazardous viruses that require BSL-4 containment
- Performs technical services including but not limited to performing a variety of procedures on laboratory animals including exposure to viruses, blood collection, tissue collection, vaccination, treatment, euthanasia, and necropsy. Other technical services include but are not limited to performing clinical pathology assays (hematology, clinical pathology, blood coagulation) and processing blood and tissue samples from infected animals and maintaining mammalian cell cultures.
- Contributes to scientific analysis of projects
- Writes and reviews methods sections of manuscripts
- Orders and maintains lab inventory of supplies, animals, and equipment
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected, compiles and tabulates data, and provides analysis of results
- Maintains knowledge of BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 operations
- Adheres to internal controls established for the department
- Performs related duties as required
Salary range is between $37,920 and $84,125 annually, commensurate with experience. Depending on the experience and education, the candidate might be considered for a Biocontainment Research Associate III.
UTMB has several highly interactive research centers, biomedical institutes, and a national biocontainment laboratory with excellent infrastructure to conduct research at BSL2, -3 and -4 on diverse animal models of infectious diseases. The Department, with 31 full-time faculty members, is ranked among the top of its peer departments in NIH funding. Interested candidates should apply to
Job id #63819, Biocontainment Research Associate II via the UTMB careers website at https://www.utmb.edu/careers/
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.