Biological Sciences Instructional Lab Supervisor
Biological Sciences Instructional Lab Supervisor
Job Category: Managerial/Professional
Unit: School of Natural Sciences
Position Code: SNS8920A
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin 7/7/19 and continue until the position has been filled
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000
Background check: Background check is required
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
About the Job:
Under minimal supervision, the Biological Sciences Instructional Lab Supervisor oversees the activities and staff of a laboratory including the supervision of entry/intermediate level research and/or instructional associates and laboratory support staff. Works in large multi-facility laboratory. Supervises the development and execution of major or multi-disciplinary instructional experiment design.
- Oversees all life sciences and earth system labs including making solutions and media, culturing cells, being available for questions or support during lab and cleaning/tearing down the lab.
- Supervises and schedules the activities of laboratory support staff; may plan and direct work of entry to intermediate level research or instructional associates.
- Supervises or performs laboratory instruction inventory planning and purchasing. Oversees the maintenance of adequate stocks for classroom laboratories and preparation area. Creates and maintains operating budget for several life sciences and earth systems courses.
- Ensures regulatory compliance relative to safety in large multi-unit facility; provides for staff training in equipment use and safety protocols.
- Recommends adaptions and modifications to procedures and equipment in the teaching laboratory as new techniques.
- Advises teaching assistants on lab safety, lab concepts and teaching strategies.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences or related area and two years of progressively responsible related laboratory experience or equivalent training/experience. PhD in biological sciences is preferred.
- Focus of knowledge and skills dependent on area of specialty (laboratory research or instructional/experimental design): Advanced and highly specific knowledge and expertise associated with conducting and reporting on scientific research experiments and findings.
- Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of specialized laboratory equipment.
- Solid leadership skills associated with planning work assignments, establishing priorities and scheduling instructional space.
- Solid interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Knowledge of data acquisition and analysis techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of instructional design to collaborate effectively with faculty and function as a resource to research and instructional associates.
- Solid interpersonal communication skills to effectively supervise staff.
- Strong abilities to conduct and report on scientific experiments and findings.
- Knowledge of necessary lab safety procedures and requirements, as well as chemical disposal guidelines.
Click on the link below to use our new on-line application system.
If you do not have internet access you may mail your application, resume, and cover letter to: University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Rd., Merced CA 95343. Please list the job number on the subject line.
The University of California, Merced is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
As of January 1, 2014 the University of California, Merced will be a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu
E-Verify: Effective September 8, 2009, all employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit:
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency