Postdoctoral Research Fellow
College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences
This NERC/Newton Fund funded post is available immediately until 31 March 2021to participate in ENRICH (ENhancing ResIlienCe to future Hydro-meteorological extremes in the Mun river basin in Northeast of Thailand) project that started on 1 October 2018. Our partner on this project is the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) in Thailand.
Summary of the role/position
The successful applicant will focus on evaluation of mean rainfall in Northeast Thailand and controlling factors in CMIP6 models the MJO and ENSO in models and its impact on sub-seasonal and seasonal rainfall variability and extremes in Northeast Thailand. Future changes in rainfall will be assessed, including extreme seasonal and sub-seasonal events, impacts of climate variability and land-use change on streamflow and hydrological extremes and hydrologic alteration and combined impacts of climate change and ENSO on agricultural and hydro-meteorological droughts and its consequences under different land-use change scenarios. You will also collaborate with other tasks in ENRICH focused on land-use changes and adaptation strategies.
The post will include conducting research on the above listed subjects. Travel to meetings and workshops in Thailand few times during the project will be required.
You can view the Job Description and Person Specification document here.
- Possess a relevant PhD or equivalent qualification/experience in a related field of study
- Will be a nationally recognised authority in climate variability, climate change and hydro-meteorological extremes and possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline to develop research programmes and methodologies
- Be able to work collaboratively, supervise the work of others and act as team leader as required
- Be able to use, interpret and improve tools for modelling of climate variability, climate change and hydro-meteorological extremes
The University of Exeter
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities and in the top 150 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019). We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, achieving a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017.
Our research income in recent years means we're fastest growing UK Research University and we seek to answer some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today through this. 98% of our research is international quality (2014 Research Excellence Framework) and we encourage proactive engagement with industry, business and community partners to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students.
With over 22,000 students and 5,500 staff from 180 different countries we offer a diverse and engaging environment in which to work. We are an equal opportunity employer, a Disability Confident employer and an Athena Swan accredited institution. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
We offer some fantastic benefits including:
- 41 days leave per year
- options for flexible working
- onsite gyms on all of our campus' and a cycle to work scheme
- sector leading policies around maternity, adoption and shared parental leave (up to 26 weeks full pay), paternity leave (up to six weeks full pay) and a new Fertility Treatment Policy
- stunning campus environments in Exeter and Cornwall, in the beautiful South West of England