User Training Officer
The Training Officer will report to the Training Manager within the User Support and Climate Services Division.
The team of training officers works across several application domains. This new post will focus on user training and outreach activities in support of national services’ exploitation of the future EUMETSAT missions (MTG and EPS-SG) for application in nowcasting and short-range forecasting. The target audiences will be operational staff, application developers and scientists.
- To design, deliver and evaluate training courses, for forecasters, scientists and application developers that enable the exploitation of EUMETSAT data in operational forecasting;
- To build the network of subject matter experts that supports the implementation of the training activities;
- To provide thematic leadership within the networks of external contributors and users, providing high quality advice on potential application pathways in Nowcasting and Short-range Numerical Weather Prediction (i.e. where they add most value in the forecasting process);
- To support EUMETSAT partners and relevant projects in terms of guidance and, particularly EUMeTrain, who contribute to user training;
- Contribute directly and with user contributions to the EUMETSAT website topical images & case studies library;
- To interact with the user relations team on feedback from users, and support relevant follow up;
- Supporting the definition and development of new systems and services by providing advice on the application conditions of the users;
- This role requires expertise in operational meteorology as well as training.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong ability to design and implement courses that teach the application of EUMETSAT data in operational nowcasting and short-range forecasting, including the quantitative application of data and the use of RGB products;
- Understanding of multispectral imager data and what information is available in various channels and channel combinations;
- Understanding of meteorological services, and the processes at work in generating forecasts, as wells as warning and information services;
- Proven experience in the design, delivery and evaluation of training interventions online and in the classroom, with a knowledge of associated theories of learning/pedagogies;
- Capacity to build and influence international networks and deliver work through those networks;
- Experience in the access and processing of meteorological satellite data;
- Appreciation of the role of user training in capacity building projects and for user preparedness for future satellite systems;
- Routine and frequent travel within Europe and worldwide is a requirement of the role.
- A university degree in a relevant discipline and broad professional exposure to cover both these areas is required.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French. A working knowledge of additional languages relevant for the training function would be an advantage
The initial contract will be of 4 years’ duration, with subsequent 5 year contracts being awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63 and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
This post is graded A2/A4 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 5,612 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable based on skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT website.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited based on their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.
Closing date 22 July 2019.