Senior Research Specialist - Mass Spectrometry Core
Senior Research Specialist, Mass Spectrometry Core
The Mass Spectrometry Core (MSC) at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) has an open position for a full-time Senior Research Specialist with a background in Mass spectrometry. The holder of this position assists the Facility Director in overseeing the operations of an analytical Mass Spectrometry research facility. Defines research projects, carries out own research projects, and trains other lab personnel in various techniques and research equipment. Custom designs and performs Mass Spectrometry associated research projects according to customer needs. Carries out complex laboratory protocols and data analysis.
We are seeking an experienced candidate who has Bachelor’s degree in science or related field required. Master’s degree in science preferred. A minimum of 5 years related research experience. Possess and applies advanced knowledge of research principles, concepts, practices and methods. Proficient in specific lab research techniques. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. More detailed information about the Research Resources Center may be found at: http://www.rrc.uic.edu/
Applicants should submit the following: cover letter highlighting key qualifications; current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography; names, relationship and email addresses of three references. For fullest consideration, applications should be received by July 22, 2019. All materials should be uploaded to https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=116302
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
This position assists the Facility Director in overseeing the operations of an analytical Mass Spectrometry research facility. Defines research projects, carries out own research projects, and trains other lab personnel in various techniques and research equipment. Custom designs and performs Mass Spectrometry associated research projects according to customer needs. Carries out complex laboratory protocols and data analysis.
Job Responsibilities (Essential Duties)
- Consult with prospective users (faculty, clinicians, fellows and graduate students) on appropriate methodologies to accomplish their research goals.
- Train Research Specialists and Senior Research Specialists in new protocols and supervise their routine performance.
- Design and test custom research protocols as needed. Modify existing protocols as appropriate.
- Test, customize and implement new techniques and write comprehensive protocols.
- Assist the Director in preparation and submission of shared instrument grants.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of highly-specialized instrumentation. Supervise the backup and storage of research data acquired at the facility.
- Analyze and document results for publication and reports. Assist in manuscript preparation and review as requested.
- Generate scientific reports based on research findings/results.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
Reports to: Director of MSC
Role: Team Leader
Manages: 1 FTE employee
Experience: Experience in MRM/SRM and nanoLC/MS.