Research Associate Professor in Mechanistic Metabolism Research Laboratory
The Mechanistic Metabolism Research Laboratory of Drs. Robert Farese and Tobias Walther of Harvard/HHMI has recently opened in the School of Life Science and Technology (SLST) at ShanghaiTech University in Shanghai, China. We are looking for an ambitious and highly driven Research Associate Professor to work with Drs. Farese and Walther to elucidate mechanisms of cellular metabolism. The research will be based in the modern open lab space in the SLST in ShanghaiTech University, situated in the heart of Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park in the Pudong Science District in Shanghai.
The laboratory’s research is to understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms of metabolic reactions, and their regulation in cells. For more information about the laboratory’s research, please see: https://faresewaltherlab.hms.harvard.edu/.
Position：Research Associate Professor in Mechanistic Metabolism Research Laboratory
Responsibilities：The successful candidate will carry out his/her own research projects, under the guidance of Drs. Farese & Walther, with the goal of publication in international peer-reviewed journals. In addition, he/she is expected to present the work at internal and national and international seminars and conferences. He/she will also assist Drs. Farese & Walther with the supervision of students and/or junior research staff working in support of the projects, as well as with the general organization and maintenance of the lab. Dr. Farese & Walther guarantee a working environment that will help the Research Associate Professor to expand his or her knowledge in experimental research, interact with professional colleagues from around the world, and advance his/her career. Outstanding organization and communication skills are a must.
Requirements：The successful candidate will have an outstanding track record and will demonstrate excellent inter-personal, organizational and time management skills as well as excellent English communication. He/she must have a strong passion for science and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Applications from adventurous foreign individuals are highly encouraged.
Education & qualifications
- A PhD or an equivalent degree in a biomedical science from an accredited institution;
- At least 4 years of postdoctoral fellowship experience;
- Extensive training and publications in structural biology;
- Experience in Cryo-EM preferable.
Scientific knowledge and skills (essential)
- Basic knowledge in molecular cell biology, biochemistry and structural biology;
- Logical and critical thinking;
- Publication in international peer-reviewed academic journals;
- Experience and basic skills in structural biology, molecular cell biology and biochemistry, as reflected in the publication record.
Specialized knowledge & skills (desirable)
- Knowledge of cryo-electron microscopy and/or crystallography is highly preferred;
- Experience and skills in biochemistry experiments are highly desired.
Interpersonal & communication skills (essential)
- Ability and willingness to present and discuss the work and research topics clearly in written and spoken English with the supervisor and academic co-workers;
- Ability to cooperate with and support colleagues and to maintain cohesive and collaborative relationships.
Relevant experience & skills (desirable)
- Experience in presenting at international conferences;
- Experience in supervising students or junior colleagues;
- Experience in communicating and collaborating with scientists in relevant or different disciplines.
Remuneration：Competitive salary and benefits will be provided for this position.
How to apply：Qualified applicants should provide the following items in English:
- Cover Letter describing research experience and career plans;
- Curriculum Vitae including academic background and work experience;
- List of publications and up to 3 representative publications as PDFs;
- Contact details of three referees, one of which should include most recent supervisor. References will be requested after the initial selection.
Qualified applicants interested in this position should submit the above documents directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Simultaneously, applicants should complete the online application form using using the ShanghaiTech University Talent Recruitment System (http://jobs.shanghaitech.edu.cn/) following the instructions.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and interviewed by Drs. Farese&Walther.