Director Research Institute for Environment, Energy and Economics
Appalachian State University
Research Institute for Environment, Energy and Economics
Appalachian State University invites applications for the position of Director of the Research Institute for Environment, Energy and Economics (RIEEE).
Sustainability is a core aspect of Appalachian State’s mission and vision statement (https://www.appstate.edu/about/) with a large number of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to interdisciplinary research in the fields of environment, energy, and economic studies.
RIEEE exists to create transformative opportunities, strengthen collaborative partnerships, and maximize the societal impact of research at Appalachian State University in and at the intersections of the environment, energy, and economic domains. The Institute houses the Appalachian Energy Center, the Center for Economic Research and Policy Analysis, and the Southern Appalachian Environmental Research and Education Center (https://rieee.appstate.edu/). The Director reports to the Vice Provost for Research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Director will lead the RIEEE in support of the mission and vision of the Institute and of the University. We seek a dynamic and collaborative leader who will strive to:
- Secure resources to sustain and expand the Institute’s contribution to the University’s research enterprise, moving toward a self-sustaining externally supported research Institute;
- Actively engage with the research community, lead proposal creation,and maintain a strong research agenda;
- Increase Institute visibility by serving as an effective representative regionally and nationally, establishing and maintaining partnerships to advance RIEEE’s mission and creating opportunities for the dissemination and exchange of knowledge;
- Facilitate the formation of productive multidisciplinary research teams dedicated to the investigation of complex problems that affect our society, economy, and environment;
- Actively identify potential funding opportunities for critical research topics and coordinate collaboration among internal researchers and external contacts;
- Supervise grant management and other duties associated with research institute administration;
- Energize, improve, and strengthen collaboration among the three affiliated centers (the Appalachian Energy Center, the Center for Economic Research and Policy Analysis, and the Southern Appalachian Environmental Research and Education Center) and external partners; and
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Inclusive Excellence mission and goals of the university.
- Terminal degree with significant academic and research credentials in one or more of the Institute’s core areas or in a closely related discipline;
- Strong track record of applying for and securing external funding for research related to the environment, energy, and/or economics;
- Evidence of interdisciplinary research and an academic record that merits tenure in an appropriate academic department;
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, organizational, presentation, and writing skills.
- Administrative experience, preferably involving multi-program and contract- and grant-supported activities;
- Demonstrated success developing and contributing to collaborative approaches to research, knowledge transfer, education, and community engagement.
Appalachian State is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. In support of its commitment to inclusive excellence through diversity and equity, ASU strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and members of other underrepresented groups. The university has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining working and learning environments that are free of all forms of discrimination. Individuals with disabilities or other special needs may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, applicants are encouraged to contact Mike Madritch (email@example.com) regarding any questions about the position.
Review of applications will begin August 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is January 2020.
Please use the following link to apply:
- Statement of Interest describing how your background has prepared you to lead the RIEEE and how your leadership would move RIEEE forward (not to exceed 3 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of at least 3 references