STAFF FELLOW: COMPUTER SCIENTIST
STAFF FELLOW: COMPUTER SCIENTIST
(High-Performance Integrated Virtual Environment Team)
Office of Biostatistics and Epidemiology (OBE)
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER)
FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
The FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), Office of Biostatistics and Epidemiology (OBE) is recruiting to fill a Staff Fellow, Computer Scientist position in the High Performance Integrated Virtual Environment (HIVE) Team.
The HIVE is both a high-performance computing platform and a team of computational biologists, bioinformaticians, and programmers. The HIVE software provides an infrastructure for next-generation sequence (NGS) data analysis, distributed data retrieval, and a web-based advanced computational environment. The HIVE provides bioinformatics support services, algorithm development, and visualizations to assist researchers and regulators in answering complex scientific questions. The bioinformatics challenges faced by the center involves regulatory submissions for novel therapies such as gene transfer, microbiome therapies, and xenotransplantation with claims of effectiveness and safety for supported by a broad range of data (NGS, clinical, safety, etc.) that vary in complexity and quality. For more information, please visit https://github.com/FDA/fda-hive.
The selected candidate will collaborate with other FDA scientists, including physicians, laboratory scientists, life sciences professionals, biostatisticians and epidemiologists to develop and provide high-performance bioinformatics tools, natural language processing solutions, informative data visualizations, and core data analysis services. The following duties may include:
- Supporting FDA researchers with bioinformatics questions and assess submissions to CBER that include NGS.
- Using thorough knowledge of current trends in genomics, artificial intelligence, computational biology, and distributed computing platforms will be used to collaboratively develop insights into research and regulatory questions arising from the development, use, and regulation of biological products.
- Conducting analyses of epidemiological data, next generation sequencing data, machine learning analyses, writing reports, and publications. Specific bioinformatics analyses used at CBER include whole genomes, whole exomes, RNA-seq analysis, sequence alignments, metagenomics, phylogenic analyses and the development and/or novel application of methodologies to generate analyses that support a science-based decision-making process.
This position will be filled through the Service Fellowship program. The appointment is for up to four years with opportunities for renewal. Applications will be accepted from U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) only. No previous Federal experience is required. Appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service, and there is no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeals rights.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: Computer Scientist, RG-1550: Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree (M.D., D.V.M., etc.) is required.
REQUIRED SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Developing and maintaining high-throughput bioinformatics infrastructures for cluster and cloud computing platforms, high performance computing, artificial intelligence, NGS clinical genomics, and bioinformatics. Also, prior experience with software engineering and specific training in bioinformatics is desired.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
SALARY: Salary commensurate with education/experience.
LOCATION: Silver Spring, MD
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED: Once the job opportunity announcement closes on (08/13/2019), your application will be reviewed to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position. See the USAJOBS help article "What is the difference between eligibility and qualifications?" for more information. If you are referred to the hiring manager, you may be contacted at their discretion for an interview.
Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Background and/or Security investigation required.
- If applicant is an U.S. Citizen, males born on, or after, December 31st, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System or have an approved exemption. Visit www.SSS.gov for more info.
- Prohibited financial interest restrictions may apply. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website at http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/Ethics/default.htm.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit electronic resume or curriculum vitae and supporting documentation to Brian Hively at firstname.lastname@example.org. Supporting may documentation include: bibliography, summary of research accomplishments, and names/contact information of three references. Applications will be accepted through August 13, 2019. Please reference Job Code: OBE-19-04-SCI.