Postdoctoral Research Associate
National Jewish Health is currently seeking a Post-doctoral Research Associate to join Dr. Irina Petrache’s laboratory team.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to start a career in research.
The Post-doctoral Research Associate will:
- Work on an individualized project in the field of COPD and the effects of sphingolipids in the development of lung disease in vivo and also using ex vivo tissue culture using lung cells derived from patient donors.
- Generate data on Sphingosine Kinase and Sphingosine-1 Phosphate models as they pertain to the development of emphysema, and to generate figures for presentation and publication at national and international meetings.
- Will spearhead their own project and work to produce a post-doctoral research grant
- Contribute to our team, working towards a better understanding of the role of sphingolipids, in particular Sphingosine-1 Phosphase, in lung disease as well as how they are influenced by cigarette smoking.
Candidates with a background in endothelial cell biology is a plus and should have routine molecular biology skills such as RTqPCR and western blotting, RNA and protein isolation from cells and tissues.
Experience with endothelial and / or human lung tissue a plus.
- Performs, on a very independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations, to include being responsible to the Principal Investigator in the planning, developing, operating, recording, collaborating and reporting of major projects.
- Collaborates with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the progress of major research projects.
- Provides guidance to laboratory staff in one or more laboratory areas, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Performs as the technical advisor on techniques involving complex analyses utilizing highly sophisticated techniques. Serves as primary contact with researcher staff for technical services on major techniques, recording devices and statistical procedures relative to the specifically assigned field.
- Reviews quality control of new or modified laboratory techniques which affect any part of major projects.
- Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments. Knows and follows age-specific guidelines.
- Performs as a back-up to staff absences and vacancies, as necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Extensive knowledge of standard research practices and methods, particularly in the field of assignment, and of other values of research in the field involved. Ability to determine the approach to a research problem which will give the most significant results and to develop, lay out and plan the actual experiments to be performed, and ability to devise new methods and techniques as needed in experimentation. Ability to plan, organize and direct work of supporting personnel. Ability to prepare and write reports on research projects. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, other research personnel and the general public.
M. D.; or, Ph. D. in biology, chemistry or other basic sciences required.
Certification and Licensure
A minimum of five (5) years of specified experience in technical investigatory techniques required. M. D. or Ph. D. in a specified basic science field will suffice for 2 yrs experience.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
National Jewish Health is a non-profit, non-sectarian institution and is a longstanding cornerstone in the Denver healthcare community. National Jewish Health seeks to attract the best-qualified candidates who support the mission, vision and values of the Institution and those who respect and promote excellence through diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, physical or mental disability, marital, familial or parental status, genetic information, military status, veteran status or any other legally protected classification. We are a tobacco and fragrance free environment.