Data Scientist for Proteomics and Metabolomics Facility (m/f/x)
CeMM Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences is an international top research institute. We successfully pursue ambitious research projects including large-scale proteomics and metabolomics characterization of biomedical samples, i.e. relevant in cancer or rare disease related medical research. Currently, we are looking for a highly motivated Data Scientist for our Proteomics and Metabolomics Facility (Pro- Met-) with experience in computational house-keeping tasks as well as small to large-scale analysis of mass spectrometry-based omics data. The focus of the position is within the framework of the Pro-Met Facility’s mission to provide ‘state-of-the-art’ mass spectrometry-based analytical technology and services. The goal of the position is to implement and maintain databases as well as automated scripts for data processing pipelines, develop bioinformatics tools and pipelines for proteomics and metabolomics applications and provide advice on experimental design and potential statistical analysis approaches. In this position, you will have the opportunity to work in an innovative research environment and closely collaborate with different research groups at CeMM. With your profound computational knowledge, your proactive workstyle and your communicational talent you will be an important support partner for our research teams. For this position we are looking for an experienced data scientist who is eager to contribute to ground-breaking innovative MS-based proteomics and metabolomics scientific research.
- Degree (Master or PhD) in either Computer Science, Bioinformatics or Life Sciences
- Experience in bioinformatics, ideally for mass spectrometry based omics applications, as well as data integration and statistical analysis.
- Expertise in programing such as R, Python
- Familiarity with Perl, Java, and databases is considered a plus
- Familiarity with Linux environment
- Experience with commercial software solutions like Proteome Discoverer, Compound Discoverer, TraceFinder, Spectronaut, MassHunter, MassyLynx, as well as open source software solutions like Skyline, Saint, Open MS, XCMS Online, etc. is of advantage
- Solid understanding of mass spectrometry applications
- Ability to work independently, a strong pro-active attitude towards assessing and implementing contemporary bioinformatics tools and concepts to accelerate multi-omics research at CeMM
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
The Proteomics and Metabolomics Facility (Pro-Met-) (https://cemm.at/research/facilities/proteomics-and-metabolomics-facility/)
The CeMM Pro-Met- Facility provides state-of-the-art technologies hosted in a specifically designed laboratory. The mass spectrometry lab has been designed to the highest standards with individual air-conditioned cubicles that ensure the highest quality of mass spectrometry (MS)-based analysis with minimized impact of temperature variation or background chemical noise. The instrument park consists of triple quadrupole MS systems as well as high-end Orbitrap-based MS instruments. The combination of mass spectrometers with ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography (UHPLC) and nanoflow liquid chromatography (nano-LC) enables unsurpassed performance in terms of flexibility of application, sensitivity and speed of analysis. The robust proteomics and metabolomics platforms incorporate modern industrial and academic concepts, i.e. quality control procedures and automated data processing pipelines. A highly skilled and motivated team is providing the service analysis with the goal to go beyond sample measurements and be an active part of the research quest.
The Institute (http://www.cemm.at)
CeMM Research Center for Molecular Medicine is an international and interdisciplinary research institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Driven by medical needs, CeMM integrates basic research and biomedical expertise to pursue innovative diagnostic and therapeutic approaches focused on cancer, inflammation, and immune disorders. CeMM is located in a new building at the center of Vienna’s Medical University campus, within walking distance of Vienna’s historical city center. According to a recent study by “The Scientist”, CeMM is among the top-5 best places to work in academia world-wide (http://the-scientist.com/2012/08/01/best-places-to-work-academia-2012). Vienna is frequently ranked the world’s best city to live. It is a United Nations city with a large English-speaking community. The official language at CeMM is English, and more than 45 different nationalities are represented at the institute.
- An exciting and collaborative work environment at the forefront of biomedical research.
- Diverse set of tasks in a meaningful, inspiring, international setting.
- An attractive employee benefits package including health insurance, company health care, competitive holiday allowance and daily bonus for the in-house cafeteria.
- Our team of HR professionals supports your relocation to Vienna, ranked as most liveable city worldwide.
- An annual salary (gross) of EUR 50.000,- on a full time base. The salary is compliant with the applicable collective agreement including an overpayment depending on the qualifications of the applicant.
CeMM aims to promote equality of opportunity for all with the right mix of talent, competences and potential. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds. Please upload your application documents (cover letter, CV, names and contact details of two former supervisors) to: https://cemm.jobbase.io/job/kcj1djt5
Closing date for applications: 30 June 2019