Biologist (Computational Bioinformatics)
As an APHIS Science Fellow Biologist (Bioinformatics) you will be a member of a team responsible for developing methods of vaccine development by generating serological and immunological profiles and data for the training of Machine Learning models.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Develop the methods and protocol for generating phage display libraries against anti-Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus antisera
- Identify, and obtain relevant samples for producing epitope mapping profiles which relate to the goal of epitope profiling vaccine generated antisera
- Generate multiple phage display libraries for downstream sequencing using next-generation sequencing methods
- Standard molecular methods including nucleic acid extraction, RT-PCR, conventional PCR, nucleic acid quantification and size evaluation
- Prepare sequencing libraries for various platforms, including Illumina, Oxford Nanopore, and traditional Sanger sequencing
- Identify, import and install basic bioinformatics tools as needed
- Preparing data for Machine Learning model integration
- Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/
- Testing Designated Position: Selectee must submit to a urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment and random testing thereafter. Final appointment and continued employment is conditional on negative results for illegal drug use.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment medical statement and/or exam.
- Your position will require daily travel to and from either Orient Point, New York and Plum Island, or Old Saybrook, Connecticut and Plum Island aboard Government-provided marine vessels
- You may be exposed to risks and hazards of harmful biological, chemical and physical agents while working/reaching into incubators, hoods, centrifuges and other automated equipment.
- Your may have exposure to disease conditions and agents that would require personal protective equipment/clothing, safeguards and enrollment in a health monitoring program.
- You may have restrictions on contact with birds, sheep, goats, cattle, and swine outside of the laboratory due to potential contamination issues.
- Vaccinations may be required.
- Qualifications Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement, including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
FOR THE GS-11 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-09 level) that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates: OR 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in Computational Science, or Biological Science including Bioinformatics, Animal Science, Pharmacology and other closely related fields
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- Experience in cloning or serology
- Experience with bioinformatics and molecular biology, amplification, or sequencing
- Producing manuscripts, writing/presenting research papers, developing protocols, meeting/poster presentations, or other similar communications in order to collaborate with analysts regarding data processes, procedures, and/or metadata
- This position requires specific coursework or a degree in a specific field to be basically qualified.
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
- This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Professional and Scientific Positions
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education
Please see Qualifications Section above for educational requirements.