Imperial College London
£37,486 - £46,499 p.a.
Applications are invited for a Research Associate in Molecular Microbiology to join the Department of Life Sciences and the MRC Centre for Molecular Bacteriology and Infection (CMBI) at Imperial College London.
Working closely with members of Professor Filloux’s Group, you will be based in the MRC CMBI, located in the Flowers Building, South Kensington Campus. You will work full-time on specific projects building on recent publications in PNAS and Nature Microbiology on Pseudomonas bacterial type VI secretion systems (T6SS) and T6SS toxins, as well as supervising a small research team and running and maintaining the laboratories.
Duties and responsibilities
In this role you will be expected to perform experiments to a high standard.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- To perform standard scientific techniques including molecular microbiology, protein purification, bacterial genetics and fluorescence microscopy
- To analyse and present data for interpretation by others.
- To ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times.
- To present findings to colleagues and at conferences.
- To write up the finding for submission to refereed journals.
- To take responsibility for organising resources and effective decision making in support of research.
- To direct the work of small research teams including undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- A PhD degree (or equivalent) in Biological Sciences or related field.
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven experience in:
- Molecular microbiology and bacterial pathogens.
- General molecular biology procedures, including PCR cloning and bacterial mutagenesis.
- Protein purification and protein/protein interaction.
- Fluorescence microscopy.
- Proven record in the publication of research articles.
- Proven knowledge of general microbiology, and bacterial secretion systems.
- Experience of working in a team
You must also possess the following skills:
- The ability to develop and apply new concepts and have a creative approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to organise your own work with minimal supervision and prioritise in response to deadlines.
This is a full time, fixed-term position for up to three years.
*Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £34,397 - £37,486 per annum.
Informal inquires can be made directly to Professor Alain Filloux, Professor of Molecular Microbiology in the Department of Life Sciences, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please visit: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/ and search by job reference: NAT00446
Closing date: 17 June 2019
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/