UNAVCO President, Boulder, CO
The UNAVCO Board of Directors seeks Applicants to the position of President.
Located in Boulder, Colorado, UNAVCO is a non-profit corporation that supports and promotes Earth science by advancing high-precision geodetic positioning, timing, and remote sensing for basic research, environmental studies, environmental monitoring and hazards mitigation. Our membership is composed of international education, research, and operational institutions with a commitment to scholarly research, outreach and scientific application. The recent announcement of retirement by our esteemed President Dr. M. Meghan Miller requires that the UNAVCO Board of Directors fill the position of President. The President will report directly to the UNAVCO Board of Directors, which is elected by its membership.
Challenges to UNAVCO’s next President. Geodetic science and its applications have become deeply embedded within the mesh of science and society. This expansion of geodetic science and technology has also spurred the need for increasing investments in instrumentation to improve the resolution, distribution, and reliability of data being delivered to the UNAVCO Community and its many pursuits and applications. UNAVCO is also committed to improving the technical skills and scientific well-being of its Community while navigating within increased political and economic pressures. UNAVCO will have to adapt to this dynamic environment and will need guidance from a President with thoughtful vision and the ability to execute on that vision. The President of UNAVCO is expected to provide vision and leadership for UNAVCO employees and the community in developing and implementing strategies that support and strengthen the geodetic community that UNAVCO serves, while maintaining an effective working relationship with sponsor agencies. The President of UNAVCO has overall responsibility and accountability for the technical, management, and budgetary success of UNAVCO, including leading the development, preparation, and submission of community-driven proposals. The President is expected to develop a strong member organization to represent the interests of the geodetic research community and to engage that community in the development of a strategic plan and a vision to insure the vibrancy of UNAVCO for the next two decades.
The Board of Directors seeks a dynamic individual with:
- A demonstrated record of excellence, vision and leadership in Earth science;
- A broad understanding of the scientific and operational applications of geodetic technology in service of basic research, environmental monitoring and hazards mitigation;
- Highly-developed leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills to represent UNAVCO in scientific, government, and commercial venues;
- A demonstrated ability to promote a diverse and inclusive environment;
- A demonstrated ability to lead, communicate with, and inspire the diverse employees of the facility and to work effectively as a team member;
- A demonstrated ability to promote consensus among researchers and managers with diverse points of view;
- Knowledge of UNAVCO's sponsor agencies (NSF, NASA, USGS), their sister agencies and associated governmental structures and procedures;
- Strong management skills and business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to lead within a cost and schedule constrained environment;
- The ability to engage in frequent national and international travel.
Application details: The minimum term of the employment is negotiable but the expectation is 2-4 years. Applications should include a complete vita, the names and addresses of three or more references, a statement outlining the applicant’s vision for UNAVCO, and a statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Review of applications will begin June 20, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Please note: We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We encourage diversity and prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other legally protected class under state or federal law.
Send inquiries to: UNAVCO, c/o Leslie Ewing, 6350 Nautilus Drive, Suite B/C Boulder, CO 80301-5554 or via email to: email@example.com
To learn more about UNAVCO, please click on the link below for a brief video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLMk120vMU#action=share