PHC Sr. Data Scientist
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
PHC Sr. Data Scientist
As a SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST within our Personalized HealthCare function you will be responsible for the data science and real world evidence strategies using meaningful data to generate impactful evidence and insights on our molecules/ medicines and patients that support R&D, advance scientific and medical knowledge, and enable personalized patient care and access. In addition to real world data (electronic medical records, patients registries, etc) , multiple data types will be leveraged including patient-level clinical data, supplemented with deep patient data like omics (e.g. genomics, proteomic), imaging, digital health, etc. The data science solutions will address molecule and disease area questions that will inform the research and development of our molecules, and support healthcare decisions by patients, physicians, health authorities, payers, and policy-makers. As a technical leader of the organization, you will also lead or contribute significantly to functional, cross-functional, enterprise-wide or external initiatives that shape our business and healthcare environments. This will require a deep understanding of molecule and disease area strategies, our business, healthcare environments, as well as excellent scientific and technical data science expertise. You will need excellent strategic, leadership, collaboration and communication skills, as well as an entrepreneurial mindset, to work with and through others, to transform the way we use data and analytics to develop and deliver medicines for our patients and to achieve the business objectives.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will typically be expected to contribute to broad oncology area strategies, lead and deliver on complex projects, and interact with external partners without supervision. You will drive the application of strategies and concepts and determine best course of action. You will drive creation of best practices, and proactively share learnings/experience with colleagues both internal and external to the function.
- DEVELOP & DRIVE DATA AND MOLECULE STRATEGIES: Develop and drive overarching data science strategies, in collaboration with internal partners, to support research and development of our molecules and enable personalized patient care and access.
- SHAPE INTERNAL & EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT: Lead or contribute significantly to functional, cross-functional, enterprise-wide or external data science communities, networks, collaborations, initiatives or goals on knowledge-sharing, methodologies, innovations, technology, IT infrastructure, policy-shaping, etc. to enable broader and more effective use of data and analytics to support business.
- DIVE INTO DATA: Develop a comprehensive and deep understanding of the data we work with and foster learning with colleagues using analytical tools and applications to broaden data accessibility and advance our proficiency/efficiency in understanding and using the data appropriately.
- BE AN EXPERT IN APPLYING METHODS: Stay current with and adopt emergent analytical methodologies, tools and applications to ensure fit-for-purpose and impactful approaches.
- PRODUCE HIGH QUALITY ANALYSES: Apply rigor in study design and analytical methods; plan for data processing; design a fit-for-purpose analysis plan, assess effective ways of presenting and delivering the results to maximize impact and interpretability; implement and/or oversee the study, including its reporting; ensure compliance with applicable pharma industry regulations and standards.
- INTERPRET AND SHARE RESULTS: Communicate findings to internal stakeholders, regulatory, health technology assessment (HTA) bodies and scientific communities; publish results; participate in external meetings and forums to present your insights (e.g. congress/conference).
- COLLABORATE & SHAPE: Collaborate and contribute to functional, cross-functional, enterprise-wide or external data science communities, networks, collaboratives, initiatives or goals on knowledge-sharing, methodologies, innovations,
- INNOVATE OUR FUNCTION: Define functional objectives and strategy, identify opportunities, gaps and priorities, and contribute to best practice standards. Stay abreast of emergent applications, methodologies, technologies, and external guidelines, and implement change to positively evolve the function’s capabilities and impacts.
- FOSTER OUR CULTURE: Develop strong internal partnerships to promote effective collaborations. Lead by example in promoting a collaborative and entrepreneurial culture and a global mindset. Be an agent for change and engage support for innovative ideas and solutions.
Who You Are
- MSc, PhD, MD or similar qualification in a quantitative data science discipline (e.g., statistics / biostatistics, epidemiology, bioinformatics, health economics, computational biology, computer science, mathematics, outcomes research, public health, biology, medicine, psychology)
- Track record of effectively working in a matrix environment with global, international team members coming from scientific, business and operational backgrounds, using influence without authority
- Demonstrated track record of leading and execution of data science research projects, including publications
- Demonstrated track record of patient-level data analyses (e.g., real world data, surveys, clinical trials, registries, claims, omics or imaging data
- Excellent communication skills. Proven ability to translate and communicate complex ideas, concepts, and data science solutions to diverse audiences
- Proven ability to think strategically and successfully implement new strategies and ideas
- Proficiency in English, both written and verbal
- PhD degree in a quantitative or health sciences discipline as listed in Minimum Qualifications
- Subject matter expert of R&D, regulatory and/or health care systems use of real world evidence for decision-making
- Expertise in drug development and the use of external controls and hybrid designs as it relates to electronic medical records based real world data
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.