Sr. Research Associate, Virology (#675)
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Provides technical and laboratory expertise in viral culture and identification to support bioforensic casework and capability expansion for the National Bioforensic Analysis Center (NBFAC) at BSL 2, 3, and 4. Supports the development, execution, and evaluation of viral samples using identification techniques compliant with the ISO 17025 Standard, including the analysis and reporting of results.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in microbiology, biology or similar discipline, and a minimum of 5 years virology related experience, or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of virology related experience.
• Advanced scientific proficiency in laboratory functions. Possesses the ability to identify issues and recommend solutions to laboratory protocols, procedures and experimental plans.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
• Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Executes casework by conducting the analysis of forensic samples using ISO 17025 accredited procedures for the growth, purification, quantification and characterization of viral agents in BSL-2, 3, & 4 laboratories. Maintains accurate records of the processing and analysis in a computerized Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
• Participates in the development, modification, validation and verification of methods and assays for identifying and characterizing viruses including development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Conducts projects to expand NBFAC Capabilities.
• Maintains continuous cell cultures and ensures the laboratory is ready to support casework.
• Assists with planning tests, analyzing and evaluating results, providing interpretations, and signing test reports.
• Participates in the implementation and maintenance of the ISO 17025 Quality Management Systems (QMS).
• Provides technical support to multiple projects simultaneously and applies knowledge and skills to complete a wide range of tasks.
• Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative and may serve as a project technical lead, Laboratory Space Manager, and/or Biological Select Agents and Toxins (BSAT) designee.
• Provides mentorship and training to staff dependent on subject matter expertise.
• Ability to adapt to new work assignments, and perform assignments outside area of expertise, while managing resources efficiently.
• Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative, while understanding the implications of work and making recommendations for solutions.
• Receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments, and has the ability to mentor personnel within the group, while identifying and communicating promptly and with recommended solutions.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• Operates, maintains, and characterizes the performance of the equipment with minimal supervision.
• Develops techniques, prepares samples and performs test according to appropriate SOPs.
• Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
• Ensures that equipment, reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.