Scientific Division Director - Energy Storage and Distributed Resources
Scientific Division Director - Energy Storage and Distributed Resources - 86186
Organization: ED-Energy Storage & Distributed Resources
Berkeley Lab is seeking a dynamic scientific leader with a national and international reputation and record of accomplishment to serve as the Division Director of the Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division. The Director is responsible for the Division’s research and operations activities, overseeing a $35-million budget and 260 employees and affiliates, including scientists, postdoctoral fellows, administrative staff, and students.
About the Division:
The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) is organized into five core groups: Energy Storage; Energy Conversion; Grid Integration; Laser Technologies; and Applied Energy Materials. In addition, the Division’s laboratories and facilities provide unique capabilities to carry out cutting-edge research, including a Battery Fabrication Laboratory, Battery Diagnostic Laboratory, Fuel Cell Diagnostics Laboratory, The Materials Project, and FLEXGrid (comprising of Grid Emulators, Controllable Distributed Energy Resources, Hardware in the Loop systems and network of micro synchrophasors). The research in this Division also extensively uses other DOE national facilities, such as the Molecular Foundry, Advanced Light Source, The National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center, the National Center for Electron Microscopy, and the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Associate Laboratory Director for Energy Technologies Area, the ESDR Division Director is a key member of Berkeley Lab’s scientific leadership and will provide strategic leadership of the Division’s research programs. The incumbent will ensure the quality of the research in the Division, enhancing existing research programs and developing new programs; examples include coordinating research activities in energy storage, including electrochemical, thermal and chemical storage fuel cells, and grid integration, and growing new areas of research, such as applications of machine learning in the field of energy technology and controls. The Division Director will also collaborate and coordinate with the leadership of Energy Technologies Area research divisions and establish and sustain other partnerships within Berkeley Lab, with academia, and with the broader ecosystem that includes industry partners, other national laboratories, and state and federal agencies. The Director will also act as spokesperson for the Division in interactions with DOE and other government agencies. Working within the Energy Technologies Area leadership framework, the incumbent will have accountability for Division budgets, funding, workforce planning, human resources management, environmental health and safety, property and facilities management. S/he will work as a member of Laboratory senior management to ensure smooth operations and long-term prospects of both the Division and Laboratory as a whole.
What You Will Do:
- Provide scientific leadership for ESDR Division’s research programs. Develop a long-term research vision and plan for attaining that vision, and provide consultation to the Associate Laboratory Director regarding new initiatives and the strategic direction of the ESDR Division.
- Maintain and develop research programs and funding; interact with project managers at DOE and other funding agencies; and market research capabilities.
- Support Division research groups and managers in setting high expectations for research quality and productivity and on-time completion.
- Collaborate effectively with other Division investigators to define and achieve common or cross-cutting research goals.
- Assure effective communication and transfer of research findings through active participation in professional organizations and service on professional, national and international committees related to ESDR.
- Develop world-class personal research program in the area of energy science and technology.
- Supervise Division’s Group Leaders and ensure the supervision and mentoring of junior staff to accomplish research objectives and maintain a quality work environment.
- Establish a culture of excellence and inclusion by recruiting a diverse population of outstanding scientists and support professionals, enthusiastically supporting and promoting their career development.
- In coordination with the Energy Technologies Area Associate Laboratory Director, act as chief spokesperson for the ESDR Division in interactions with external agencies, including DOE, EERE and related areas.
- Facilitate collaborative research activities and programs with UC Berkeley, including the College of Engineering, and other research institutions, and develop cooperative programs with industry to the mutual benefit of Berkeley Lab and its partners.
- Working through the ESDR Research and Operations Deputies, oversee and ensure operational efficiencies across the full range of operations areas, including budgets, funding, workforce planning, human resources management, environmental health and safety, property, space and facilities management.
- Provide substantial contributions to the formulation and direction of Laboratory programs that enhance Berkeley Lab’s preeminence as a National Laboratory. Work as a team member with other Division Directors, Associate Laboratory Directors, the Chief Operations Officer and the Laboratory Directors to advance the interests of ESDR and Berkeley Lab, and assure efficient, effective, and safe operation of the Laboratory.
What is Required:
- PhD in science or relevant branch of engineering plus a minimum of 10 years relevant scientific experience beyond doctorate, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proven dynamic and passionate leader who can establish and communicate a vision for energy storage and related technologies.
- Recognized national and international reputation and record of accomplishment.
- Ability to interact at the highest level of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner and in way that appropriately represents the Laboratory.
- Familiarity with and ability to interact effectively with relevant funding agencies, including DOE.
- Experience leading and motivating Research Development, Deployment & Diffusion research teams, and experience communicating results with a broad set of stakeholders.
- Expertise in strategic planning, developing research projects and research funding, managing budgets and completing projects on time.
- Demonstrated experience in effective management and administrative oversight, creativity in decision making and problem solving, experience in human resource management and a commitment to mentoring and career development.
- Distinguished track-record of publications in peer-reviewed, archival scientific journals.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Expertise in technology transfer and research implementation.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division Director is a career position that is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Laboratory Director, and this appointment is at-will and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position is subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the California Political Reform Act of 1974. The successful candidate for this position will be required to file financial interest statements upon assuming this position, annually while holding this position, and when leaving this position.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=159570 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."