Scientific Director / Laboratory Manager
Scientific Director/Laboratory Manager
Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory
University of Alabama at Birmingham
The Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory (Principal Investigator: Dr. Jarred Younger) is seeking a Scientific Director. The lab involves a group of researchers employing neuroimaging, immunological, and pharmaceutical techniques to diagnose and treat chronic pain, fatigue and neuroinflammatory conditions. The Scientific Director is chiefly responsible for overseeing the quality and integrity of all research conducted in the laboratory.
- Supervising a diverse group of postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, project coordinators, and undergraduate research assistants.
- Creating and maintaining operating manuals and procedural guidelines.
- Developing strategic goals with the PI and implementing those goals in the laboratory.
- Proposing and developing plans to increase efficiency and impact of scientific work.
- Anticipating obstacles and proposing solutions.
- Leading scientific meetings.
- Meeting individually with lab members to discuss research progress and general satisfaction.
- Ensuring that lab standards are followed by all researchers.
- Training lab members in scientific best practices.
- Employing core systems for standard record-keeping (e.g., databases, participant logs).
- Reviewing and approving all posters, presentations, manuscript, and grants.
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory guidelines (e.g., IRB, NIH, FDA).
- Assisting lab members in planning procedures and timelines for new grants and projects.
- Assisting with outreach efforts (webpage, social media, online videos, etc.).
- Helping members to develop hypotheses, analytic plans and strong research designs.
- Assisting lab members with troubleshooting.
About the lab:
The laboratory is funded through NIH, DoD, and non-profit sources. We focus on developing new diagnostic techniques and treatments for chronic pain and fatigue conditions. Our primary laboratory techniques include clinical trials of pharmaceutical and botanical treatments, observational analyses of inflammatory disease mediators, experimental immune provocations with endotoxin and other agents, and neuroimaging (MRI and PET). We emphasize the exploration of inflammatory and neuroinflammatory causes of chronic diseases such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. More information about the laboratory can be found at:
- YouTube: https://goo.gl/S1wFyg
- Facebook: https://goo.gl/VyDTQE
- Website: https://cas.uab.edu/younger/
Ph.D. or M.D. in a related field, or Master’s degree in a related field and two years of lab management experience. Applicants should have prior experience working in a university research environment. Strong leadership, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills are required, as is an ability to work effectively with teams.
Applicants should have solid scientific writing experience and should be able to provide examples of writing. The Scientific Director will not be expected to pursue independent research projects; however, individuals interested in doing so will be supported and encouraged. Authoring manuscripts and grants is also not a requirement of the position, but is an option for interested individuals.
Interested individuals should be able to commit to a two-year period. Prior experience managing clinical research is recommended, but not required. Applicants do not need to have experience in a specific scientific area, as our projects cover many fields. Individuals who work primarily with human participants (e.g., neuroscience, neuroimaging, psychology, public health, medicine) may find a particularly good fit with the laboratory.
The position is for one year initially, with additional years contingent on satisfactory performance and available funding. The start date is negotiable, but would preferably occur in Summer of 2019.
Questions about the position can be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit an application for the position, please submit a CV and statement of interest via the Science Jobs online system, or to email@example.com
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Apply for Scientific Director / Laboratory Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly