High impact Bay Area startup seeking accomplished and versitile early career scientist or engineer.
(Title dependent on experience)
Are you an intensely passionate, high velocity, and versatile scientist or engineer looking for an opportunity to rapidly develop yourself as a leading scientist while working shoulder-to-shoulder with world experts on a truly disruptive new technology? Keep reading.
A decade ago, fast and scalable DNA sequencing (reading) disrupted the life sciences and enabled a wave of new discoveries, research paradigms, and high impact diagnostics and therapeutics. At Elegen, we believe the next frontier in the life sciences is rapid and scalable DNA synthesis (writing). For thirty years already, synthesized DNA has been an essential input into nearly all biomedical and synthetic biology research and development, and sequencing, as well as technologies such as CRISPR have further fueled demand for synthetic DNA. The technologies for synthesizing DNA, however, have evolved only incrementally in this time, and the inability to obtain custom DNA quickly, especially large numbers of fragments, remains a key factor in the high cost and comparatively slow pace of innovation in the life sciences. Elegen is developing a ground-breaking microfluidic technology and platform to synthesize DNA, on demand, that will reduce cost, increase efficiency, and accelerate innovation across the life sciences by providing custom DNA in hours instead of days.
Elegen has already assembled a rock star team of domain experts and is currently looking for a hungry and highly versatile scientist or engineer with strengths across multiple domains such as chemistry, molecular biology, physics, or engineering. You would play an essential role on the team helping tie all aspects of our technology together. You may be performing solid-phase organic chemistry one day, trouble-shooting molecular biology assays on our microfluidic hardware the next, and writing bioinformatics code on a third.
The company culture focuses on building a high functioning, collaborative, and efficient team that is constantly iterating and innovating. We care about achieving and communicating rigorous measurable results. We do this while maintaining the highest degree of mutual respect, fairness, and integrity.
This is a well-funded seed stage venture with salary, equity, and benefits appropriate to our stage. What we offer is an opportunity to dedicate yourself to making a dent in the world while working in a fast-paced environment, with a world-class team, doing cutting-edge science and engineering.
- Understand, troubleshoot, and optimize solid-phase DNA synthesis and molecular biology assays on our proprietary hardware, designing hypothesis driven experiments as appropriate.
- Develop or establish, optimize, and execute the appropriate testing or measurement methodologies to guide research and development.
- Help design and build new hardware or software tools as needed.
- Plan and execute hypothesis driven, statistically rigorous experiments or DOE approaches.
- Properly analyze, document, and report results.
- As necessary develop protocols into reproducible standard operating procedures.
- Brainstorm with lead scientists and exercise your technological creativity by contributing innovative ideas and approaches.
- Roll up your sleeves, get results, move fast.
Essential Candidate Qualifications:
- PhD or Masters in a science or engineering.
- Proven accomplishments in engineering, chemistry, or molecular biology.
- Demonstrable strength in math and statistics.
- Proficient in at least one programming language.
- Advanced capability with data aggregation and analysis using Excel, R, or similar.
- Familiar with instrumental analysis techniques (e.g. mass spectrometry, spectrophotometry).
About the company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is a stealth-mode company that emerged from Y-Combinator and raised Seed financing led by Andreessen Horowitz in late 2017. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $200 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Submit a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for High impact Bay Area startup seeking accomplished and versitile early career scientist or engineer.
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly