Postdoctoral Scientist - Temporary Associate
Department: Cell Biology Research, Regenerative Medicine
Purpose: Conduct and assist in research and development efforts to develop cell- and tissue- based regenerative medicine products for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension and other lung diseases.
- Conduct insightful research into lung epithelial cell phenotypic stability and expandability via 2D and 3D cell culture. Apply knowledge of relevant cell signaling pathways and microenvironmental cues to the design and execution of experiments to optimize lung epithelial cell culture conditions. Efforts may include use of organoid, microcarrier, and suspension culture systems.
- Independently and collaboratively develop and use cell-based assays for the evaluation of primary lung cell function. Execute small-scale scaffold experiments using candidate lung cells to confirm proper attachment and phenotype following expansion.
- Routinely perform bioanalytical assays to characterize cellular phenotypes (flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, Western Blot, qPCR, ELISA).
- Conduct independent literature review and propose well-designed experimental plans to address key scientific questions related to lung cell biology.
- Efficiently execute laboratory experiments following plans and protocols with good attention to detail.
- Analyze data and reach sound conclusions as supported by experimental findings. Compile data into easily interpreted summary reports with key outcomes highlighted.
- Record laboratory data in the in-house data management system(s).
- Regularly present and discuss data with laboratory staff and program leaders.
- Author and/or review scientific communications.
No supervision of laboratory personnel is required. Training of new personnel may be required for specific tasks.
Departmental Interfaces: Frequent interactions with internal personnel, including laboratory staff and program leaders.
External Interfaces with Customers/Clients/Vendors: Potential interactions with outside vendors, industry and academic collaborators, etc.
- Must demonstrate responsible use of inventory supplies
- Alert lab management of inventory and supply needs in a timely manner
Required Education: PhD in life science, cell biology, cell physiology, biomedical engineering, or other biomedical science
Required Certifications/Licenses: None
- Mastery of cell culture and aseptic technique is required. Primary cell culture and tissue handling is preferred.
- Mastery in analytical techniques including flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, RT-PCR, and western blot analysis is preferred.
- Knowledge of epithelial biology is preferred. Ability to read, write, and communicate in English
Required Language Skills: Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
Required PC Skills: Facility with appropriate word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and related standard software. Experience with laboratory instrumentation and data analysis software. Experience with FCS Express, FlowJo, Graphpad Prism, and FIJI is a plus.
Required Travel: Minimal
Other Required Skills:
- Highly self-motivated
- Ability to independently follow experimental methods and protocols
- Excellent team skills; must work well with others
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to initiate and manage day-to-day tasks effectively
- Ability to analyze, organize, and present data
Core Competency Profile:
Demonstrates ethical thinking in all actions
- Does the right thing the right way
- Is unwavering in adherence to regulatory, scientific and company policies and procedures
- Sets high standards for self and others and strives to meet them
Demonstrates accountability in all areas of responsibility
- Takes full ownership areas of responsibility and all aspects of its performance
- Commits to goals and executes them
- Plans ahead, focuses and prioritizes to ensure deliverables are met
Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Looks at issues from various perspectives and devises innovative approaches and solutions
- Thinks outside the box to devise non-traditional and novel approaches to business and scientific issues
Nimble in our approach to getting things done
- Acts with a sense of urgency and purpose to fulfill UT’s mission
- Adapts quickly to change and new direction
- Identifies and pursues opportunities that support business objectives
Demonstrates ability to work collaboratively at all levels of the organization
- Treats everyone with respect
- Considers divergent viewpoints
- Shares information and expertise within and across functions; partners with others to achieve goals
- Office-based environment requires ability to sit for long periods of time operating computer/telephone. Must be able to lift and carry up to 5-10 pounds throughout the day and on a regular basis (typical office lifting).
- Laboratory-based environment requires agility to move about the lab frequently throughout the day, ability to operate laboratory equipment, lift up to 25 pounds, and sit or stand for extended periods of time.Lab environment includes typical lab exposures, including handling of biohazardous materials, and requires the use of personal protective equipment and following of safety protocols.
More searches like this
- Life Sciences Contract Biotech jobs in Research Triangle Park
- Biology Contract Biotech jobs in Research Triangle Park
- Biotechnology Contract Biotech jobs in Research Triangle Park
- Cell Biology Contract Biotech jobs in Research Triangle Park
- Health Sciences Contract Biotech jobs in Research Triangle Park