For over 25 years, Earth Networks has established itself as global leader in delivering real-time weather intelligence to both private and public sector clients. Customers repeatedly cite the accuracy and predictability of its alerting and data derivative products to help drive high-impact and high-value decisions. These products are powered by a large-scale, real-time IOT data network based on Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure clouds.
Earth Networks is seeking a Post-Doctoral Research Assistant to work with our R&D team in Germantown, MD. This is a 2-year fixed term position to analyze weather and lightning data, publish and present findings at various scientific venues, and work with existing researchers using Earth Networks data. Earth Networks owns and maintains the largest global network of lightning and weather stations, an extensive network of greenhouse gas sensors in the USA and ingests a wide variety of real-time model and satellite data. We are looking for a motivated individual with new and interesting ideas of how to leverage these data to make a safer and more prosperous world.
Research topics may include but are not limited to: improving automated global severe weather warnings and now casting, developing a global precipitation model using lightning and other data, developing real-time ionospheric characterization, and validating or improving the accuracy of the ground network sensors. Position includes a standard business benefits package and a generous travel budget.
- Identify interesting and promising research topics using Earth Networks data
- Assist Earth Networks staff with various scientific questions
- Conduct and publish scientific studies in peer-reviewed journals
- Evangelize/communicate solutions to general audiences and at conferences around the world
- PhD in Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, or related field
- Strong background in meteorological science
- Experience with data analysis, large data sets required
- Experience with the Python and/or C# programming languages required
- Familiarity with AWS infrastructure and machine learning desired
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid life insurance and short/long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts
- 529 College Savings Plans
- Pet Insurance
- Legal plan for on call legal advice
- 15 days of Paid Time Off accrued in your first year! An additional day every year after!
- Generous 401(k) company match
- Telecommuting up to 2 days a week!
- Spot Bonuses
- Education assistance
Earth Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.