Director, Advanced Technology Development Laboratory
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Immunotherapy Integrated Research Center (IIRC) at Fred Hutch is seeking a PhD level Director to lead a new initiative advancing the introduction and development of new technologies. The Advanced Technology Lab will be a newly constituted resource with a mission to spur in-house development and early adaptation of novel technologies. Technologies of greatest utility to immuno-oncology research will be targeted, including advanced single cell RNA sequencing techniques, T- and B-cell receptor sequencing, and other DNA/RNA-based technologies. The incumbent will also actively seek out new technologies, through contacts with academic and industry labs. The Director will work closely with computational biologists to develop data analysis methods for newly developed technologies.
As a Fred Hutch strategic initiative, we value inclusion and a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to inform our work. We believe in supporting each other through mentorship and providing resources for professional development. Given these values, we strive to make our recruitment and promotion processes fair and transparent. Therefore, we strongly encourage all individuals with an interest in the position to apply.
- Test and compare new technologies, working with research labs to identify materials and research questions to support testing
- In collaboration with Bielas lab, develop and advance novel technologies of specific interest to immune-oncology researchers
- Research new technologies in development, creating and maintaining collaborative relationships with academic and industry partners
- Consult with Fred Hutch researchers as new technologies are developed and help them apply these technologies to their research questions and assist with study design and analysis of pre-clinical and clinical trials
- Develop well-documented, properly tested protocols for using new techniques
- Collaborate with computational biologist to develop new data analysis methods and interpret results from computational and statistical analysis
- Participate in the dissemination of research findings
- PhD or equivalent degree in science
- Experience with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS), single cell sequencing and DNA-based techniques
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a team, and supervise junior team members
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to meet deadlines
- Experience in high-dimensional data, particularly at the single-cell level (e.g. scRNA-seq)
- Experience in immunology
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.