Head of Scientific Training Unit, Vienna BioCenter
The research institutes of the Vienna BioCenter invite applications for the position of Head of the Scientific Training Unit.
The Scientific Training Unit is shared by four research institutes at the Vienna BioCenter and is responsible for the coordination of various training programs, including a PhD Program, a Postdoctoral Program and a Summer School. The unit also coordinates diverse training opportunities, namely: internships opportunities and courses.
This is a unique opportunity to join a vibrant campus, be part of a collegial community and empower the careers of young researchers.
The responsibilities of the Head of the Scientific Training Unit include:
- Overseeing all activities of the training programs.
- Designing, implementing, and overseeing the curriculum of the programs, including career development guidance for young researchers.
- Organizing the advertising of the training programs internationally.
- Overseeing recruitment processes of the training programs.
- Optimizing the mentorship and progress of students and postdocs throughout their tenures and ensuring that high standards are maintained.
- Serve as counselor and mediator to help solve issues PhD students and/or postdocs face.
- Support and promote training activities initiated on an ad hoc basis by the postdocs or faculty members.
- Maintaining contact with program alumni and their career paths, as indicators of success of the respective programs.
- Track the impact of the programs, and their performance to ensure continuous development.
The Head of Unit will be advised by the Scientific Training Steering Committee and answer to the Directors of the Research Institutes.
- Self-motivated, decisive, with the ability to adapt to change.
- Strong leadership, diplomatic and motivational skills.
- Experience in managing academic programs.
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically.
- Build and maintain relationships by engaging stakeholders, establish credibility, solve problems, build consensus and achieve objectives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
- PhD in the Life Sciences, or related field.
- Proficiency in English.
- Thriving, international campus with English as the working language.
- Competitive salary with full benefits.
- Vienna offers a lively multicultural environment with high living standards, repeatedly ranking No. 1 city worldwide for the quality of living (Mercer, Economist rankings). Child care facilities are available on campus. For further information, see the website: www.viennabiocenter.org
To apply please send a CV, personal statement and the contact details of 3 referees, to Christopher Robinson (email@example.com). The position will be open until filled, the review of applications will begin in mid-April 2019.