Staff Scientist, Translational Data Science
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
Fred Hutch launched the Translational Data Science Integrated Research Center (TDS IRC) in December 2018 to expand the breadth and depth of data science at our center. Led by Dr. Raphael Gottardo , the TDS IRC builds on several recent advances in biomedical sciences, including technologies that are driving generation of massive datasets, exponential growth of publicly available data, and revolutionary approaches in statistics, machine learning and artificial intelligence that are changing data analysis. Labs in the TDS IRC develop statistical methods and computational tools for managing and analyzing high throughput, high dimensional data and many labs work closely with translational researchers.
As a Fred Hutch strategic initiative, we value inclusion and a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to inform our work. We believe in supporting each other through mentorship and providing resources for professional development. Given these values, we strive to make our recruitment and promotion processes fair and transparent. Therefore, we strongly encourage all individuals with an interest in the position to apply. To learn more about TDS IRC.
- Consult with Fred Hutch researchers in search of support and collaboration to solve data science problems
- Manage and set scientific priorities across projects
- Develop and optimize computational pipelines to enable the integration and management of large and complex data sets
- Develop well-documented, properly tested, open-source software for reproducible research
- Interpret results from computational and statistical analysis
- Assist with study design and analysis of pre-clinical and clinical trials
- Participate in the dissemination of research findings
- Co-author manuscripts for publication
- PhD or equivalent degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, statistics, computer science, or a related field
- Experience in analysis of next generation sequencing data
- Excellent programming skills (python, R, C/C++, Java) including best software development practices (e.g., design, unit tests, documentation, code review)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a team, and supervise junior team members
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to meet deadlines
- Experience in high-dimensional data, particularly at the single-cell level (e.g., scRNA-seq)
- Experience in cloud computing (e.g., AWS)
- Experience in immunology
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.