Research Technician III-IV - Staff Scientist
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Tapscott Lab seeks a senior-level Research Technician/Staff Scientist to manage the lab with an interactive group of scientists investigating lineage specification and cell differentiation. The lab focuses on gene transcription in a chromatin context in normal development and disease. Areas of research include gene expression in cell culture models of cell specification and differentiation that includes myogenesis, neurogenesis, and pleuripotent stem cells to identify the molecular bases of totipotency, pleuripotency, specification, and differentiation. Models derived from these developmental systems are applied to understand human diseases, including cancers and degenerative diseases.
The incumbent will work independently under the guidance of and in conjunction with the Principal Investigator in accomplishing the goals of the laboratory and use discretion and judgment in carrying out experiments. Job duties will include:
- Supervise the daily operations of the research laboratory
- Address and resolve technical or procedural problems and advise technicians on the interpretation of results
- Develop and document new technologies and protocols into the laboratory
- Recruit, hire, train and evaluate Research and Laboratory Technicians
- Monitor lab safety
- Act a liaison to other research and administrative departments
- Establish laboratory standards and maintain records
- Write reports and contribute to scientific publication as warranted by the research.
- Assist in the design and review of laboratory space, equipment procurement, and supply purchases
- Research Technician III – Bachelor’s degree in a biological science and at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Research Technician IV – Bachelor’s degree in a biological science and at least 8 years of relevant experience
- Staff Scientist – PhD in a biological science and at least 5 years of relevant experience
- A broad understanding of the research and techniques performed in the laboratory that include standard molecular biology techniques such as cloning, sequencing, RNA and DNA preparations, RTPCR, Western blots, and tissue culture, as well as experience training individuals in these techniques.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.