JOB DESCRIPTION – MOLECULAR BIOLOGIST
A translational, biomedical research lab at the University of Florida seeks talented and motivated Senior PhD/MD-level scientists and Research Scientists/Assistants for immediate placement to fill multiple vacancies.
The translational research lab is seeking senior molecular biologists or research scientists/assistants with broad technical experience in cell and molecular biology, and transport physiology. The successful candidate will contribute to existing projects focused on characterizing the roles of amino acids in regulating key protein functions that are altered in disease conditions. The current projects in the lab include: 1) Electrolyte, mineral and nutrient transport alterations during cancer care, infectious diarrhea and malnutrition; 2) Anemia and hemochromatosis; 3) Tumor growth or suppression; 4) Cystic Fibrosis, asthma, allergic rhinitis and COPD; and 5) Atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and wound healing.
Preferred Experience: The positions require multidisciplinary knowledge in molecular biology, physiology and immunology.
Technical Skills & Responsibilities in the following areas:
- Strong molecular biological skills to study protein function, including DNA sequencing, cloning and extraction, RNA purification, gel electrophoresis, western blot, PCR, microarray, ELISA, FACS analysis, etc.
- Monitor or operate specialized equipment such as gas chromatographs, HPLC, electrophoresis units, thermocyclers, and cell sorters (FACS).
- Knowledge of fundamental intestinal cell physiology concepts including Ussing chamber and /or patch clamp techniques
- Understand cell cycle and signaling, cell differentiation and maturation.
- Experience in cell culture techniques and manipulation of cultured cells.
- Experience with primary mammalian cell isolation and culture would be highly desirable, and/or experience with tumor models in cancer research
- Bioinformatic software analysis experience would be desirable.
Professional Skills & Experience:
- For Senior Scientists positions: MD and /or PhD in molecular biology, physiology, microbiology, immunology, or a related field, with 5+ years of practical lab experience in an industrial or academic setting
- For research scientists/assistants: a B.S. or M.S. degree in biology, physiology, immunology, or a related field, with 3+ years of practical lab experience in an industrial or academic setting
- Ability to multi-task and manage time with minimal supervision
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in regard to assay optimization and data interpretation
- Ability to analyze, summarize, and effectively communicate scientific data
- Ability to work independently while effectively interacting and collaborating in a team environment
- Maintain clean and safe working environment for laboratory staff
- Prepare reports, manuscripts, and meeting presentations
- Must be highly adaptable, flexible, and comfortable working in a high-risk, high-demand, and high-reward research environment