Science Robotics - the first truly interdisciplinary robotics journal - provides a much-needed forum for the latest technological advances and for the critical social, ethical and policy issues surrounding robotics and the application of robotics to science. We have an exciting opportunity for an Editor to lead our Science Robotics editorial team.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief of the Science Family of Journals, you will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the journal, development and implementation of a content strategy, outreach to potential authors and reviewers,ensuring a fair and efficient peer review process, and providing recommendations for publishing and marketing decisions. You will also act as a liaison between Science Robotics and other parts of the AAAS organization, including coordinating with other journal Editors on journal policy and interacting with other departments on policy and business initiatives.
What You’ll Do
- Determine scope, editorial vision, and direction of Science Robotics in coordination with the Chief Scientific Advisor, members of the Editorial Board, and the Managing Editor
- Evaluate manuscript submissions and coordinate peer review
- Interact though communication and travel with communities of authors and reviewers with interests overlapping robotics broadly defined
- Communicate journal vision and progress to other departments within AAAS as well as provide guidance for targeted marketing/promotion and sales opportunities
- Interact with staff responsible for press outreach and the social media team regarding external promotion of Science Robotics .
- Develop and monitor journal metrics. Ensure regular communication and feedback to the Editorial Board.
- Master’s Degree in engineering or Ph.D. in a science- or engineering-based area that advances the field of robotics.
- 5-7 years of editorial experience in scientific publishing, with specific experience in managing peer review, journal publishing, interacting with and soliciting manuscripts from active scientists, and participating in and interacting with journal editorial boards
- Ability to quickly read a scientific manuscript, grasping the key concepts and placing the manuscript in the context of robotics at large to determine the relative contribution. Should be aware of cutting-edge research across fields relevant to robotics, and solicit the most knowledgeable and fair experts to peer review the manuscript
- Ability to communicate goals and expectations clearly and enforce deadlines. Should plan and coordinate with production, art, and editorial teams to ensure publication deadlines are met
- Ability to travel extensively to both scientific meetings and research centers to maintain community relationships critical for recruitment of top manuscripts and referees
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by March 19, 2019. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.