Senior Scientist, Structural Biology & Protein Sciences
Pfizer Worldwide Research and Development, La Jolla, have an open position at the senior scientist level for a highly motivated and talented research scientist in the Structural Biology and Protein Sciences (SBPS) Group within the Department of Oncology Medicinal Chemistry. The SBPS mission is focused on enabling oncology small molecule drug discovery programs by producing protein tools and protein structure, function and dynamics information.
As part of a gene to structure team within SBPS, the successful candidate will execute a range of gene to structure and protein sciences experiments, including construct design/protein engineering, purification, biophysical characterization, crystallization and structure determination, to advance multiple drug discovery projects and science objectives in parallel.
The successful candidate will collaborate and interact with colleagues across the SBPS group and will act as a resource in multi-disciplinary drug discovery team settings, contributing to robust and timely problem solving and decision making.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry or structural biology with significant postdoctoral and/or industry experience
- Extensive state of the art experience focused on exceptionally challenging structural biology systems – construct design, protein purification, biophysical characterization, crystallization/small molecule co-crystallization and x-ray structure determination
- Demonstrated scientific leadership to independently design and implement gene-to-structure strategies and experiments to successful outcomes
- Broad understanding of biochemical assays, chemical biology, mechanistic enzymology, pharmacology
- Outstanding publication record reflecting scientific drive and creativity across multiple disciplines of modern structural biology and protein sciences
- Must be able to thrive and deliver results on goals in a fast paced, dynamic and highly multi-tasking environment
- Must work well independently and as a member of teams in an inclusive manner
- Excellent communication and presentation skills that positively contribute to an environment where high value is placed on enabling and engaging teammates in robust scientific dialog, partnership and teamwork